Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Reporters Looking For Veterans

Tbird

Question

• Community Admin/Founder

pass it on

1. Reporters Looking for Veterans

Veterans for Common SenseFrom: Paul Sullivan at Veterans for Common Sense

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 6:15 PM

Subject: Reporters Looking for Veterans

Request for Veteran Interviews

Two reporters are seeking veterans and family members to interview about their problems dealing with military and VA healthcare.

If you want to volunteer in the next few days, please contact the reporter directly. Please limit your contact to one reporter. Please remember that you may be asked to document your honorable wartime military service (such as your DD214), or you may be asked very personal questions that may appear on TV or in a newspaper.

Here is a list of current press requests:

1. Kimberly Dozier, CBS National News, Washington, DC. If you believe you have PTSD but were discharged with a 'personality disorder,' especially if you earned medals and had a good record of service. You should also have clear records from highschool etc., before entering the military. E-Mail: KGD@cbsnews.com

2. Lynn Kellermann, WCBV-TV, ABC News, Boston. If you have PTSD and are having difficulty getting VA mental health appointments and/or VA disability benefits in the VT, NH, MA, RI, CT area. E-Mail: lkellermann@hearst.com

Sincerely,

Paul Sullivan

Executive Director

Veterans for Common Sense

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

16 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you think vets who identify themselves to reporters will face retaliation from the VA? When the smoke clears will they settle the score with us if we talk about the DOD and VA.

Lady T,

I sue wish #2 - Lynn Kellermann, WCBV-TV, would have included the Florida area, I'd give her

an ear full along with the paper to back it up.

carlie

Oneshot,

1) What's your opinion on a VA ENT surgon that sexually assaults a patient

during an exam at a VA hospital.

2) What's your opinion on a radiologist at the VA that doesn't take time to

correctly read the X-rays, this also goes for the labs, lab reports, docs,

MRI's, Cat scans, etc...

3) What's your opinion on a suicidal veteran being in need of medical services

and the VA setting up a psyc appointment 4 months down the road.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

"the claims system thats a different story." Yes, just search the internet a bit and see that the current "system" for processing Service Connected disability claims locks out veterans at the "front door" entrance for readily available and mandated medical care. My opinion. Other opinons available, visit Hadit.com. cg

• HadIt.com Elder

What about the poor guy that was killed on the psychiatric ward at the Salem Medical Center, Salem, Virginia? Over a carton of milk?

It wouldn't surprise me if the psychiatrist that was treating him wasn't the same quack that set me up with that phony C&P.

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

>Do you think vets who identify themselves to reporters will face retaliation from the VA? When the smoke clears will they settle the score with us if we talk about the DOD and VA.

Good question John.

How should Veterans be dealt with that go to reporters and "slam" the DVA's health care practices of abuse, mistreatment and malpractice?

I think "some" VAMC employees get away with their crap untill the rest of the clinic ends up taking the heat for it.

All it takes is one arogant jerk thinking he can get away with mistreating Veterans in the workplace, symply because he has to put up with some heat.

One thing that would help stop crimes against veterans is more video servailance of health care employees in the work place.

Does anyone know if using the internet to threaten veterans who speek out to reporters falls under FCC violations?

Oneshot,

VA employees make most often substantially more than the public at large. They have excellent health care plans (far better than what we have). They have retirement plans that is the envy of the public at large. If they have a problem with a veteran, they have their own little police force a mere second away that has no qualms about roughing up said veteran and hauling him away to the klink.

I could go through all of the life and health threatening errors VA employees have put me through in thirty five years of dealing with them but you would be reading this post for an hour, so I won't.

They are rude, demeaning, insensitive, rough, uncaring and, most importantly, dangerous. Many of them do not speak english well and don't care to learn to.

To put it simply, they make the big bucks, they can always do what they do the best, ignore us.

jaz

• HadIt.com Elder

Jazona

No question VA police believe they have the right to beat the %$#% out of any vet who gets out of line. It has happened at my VAMC pretty frequently. One crippled old man was beat to a pulp for driving too fast in the parking lot. I think our care is substandard at the VA. What can you expect when you deal with a system that is chronically underfunded? How many patients does your Primary Care doctor see in a day. How many meds do these doctors have to manage for even one patient? I like my Primary doctor but she is as busy as a one armed paperhanger.

If you identify yourself to some reporter where will that reporter be in 5 years when you are still dealing with the same old VA? Are they going to care if the good old boys decide to get even a few years from now? Maybe I am paranoid. The VA's institutional memory is short except if they label you a personality disorder then it lasts forever.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has plenty of bad apples but they also have dedicated and hard working people who care for Veterans. A couple of months ago I bought 3 cases of ensure at the VA PX and not only did they carry it out to my car they loaded it up and thanked me when I thanked them. They also were talking to each other about how a sick Vet was doing. I asked the lady who helped me how long she had worked for the VA and she told me three years.

I guess that my point is that if the VA is all that you have than be pleasant and when you have a complaint be civil and understand that the person you are dealing with is over managed and in many cases is bound by policies that is not of their doing. As my old shrink used to tell me that its not personal the VA does the same stuff to everyone.

Hire a lawyer and let things happen if you are really fed up.

Talking to 'seeking fame and fortune through fleeting sensationalism' reporters will not get your bennies any faster, but it 'may' give the VA cause to re-evaluate whatever you have managed to receive so far.

When you show up on the VA radar you do not gain an advantage.

sledge

Re: "If the VA is all that you have than be pleasant and when you have a complaint be civil and understand that the person you are dealing with is over managed and in many cases is bound by policies that is not of their doing."

That has been my experience with the Denver VA. I have had few of the problems cited by others here. I know those problems are real are remain at many sites, but I have heard the Denver VRO is one of the best...

I was part of a story about recuiting, but I don't think I'd like to comment on the VA medical negatively in my OWN experience.

Now this is MY experience.... others differ and that I do understand but since I have been in the medical system since 2002, I have had excellent service. In a surgery that was a repeat of one done by a civilian doctor 6 years prior (pylonodial cyst) the VA did a MUCH better job of the surgery. I moved to a local clinic and I have the same doctors every time. I like my doctor, and believe it or not she returns my calls. It may take a day but she does. My physciatrist is American and speeks english... understandably!

In short while I think the medical care on a one-to-one basis is less "personal" at the VA medical centers... i.e. constantly changing PCPs and Psych from India... their care is still good, to excellent IN MY EXPERIENCE.

We have an outstanding group of dedicated people here in Tennessee, and I make a point of telling them that....

I guess we are lucky... the facilites are well maintained, and constantly some parts are undergoing renovation... the doctors seem competent and normally get everything right... the nurses seem compassionate and handle most f the doctor's paperwork on time... the Nasville VAMC is connected with Vanderbilt University and they have an outstanding neurology department.

Now I am NOT discussing C&P's... just nortmal care, and I'll tell ya, I am really pleased so far. Sure I have spent an hour or even two waiting in the emergency room, but I've done that in the civilian world as well. In fact every negative thing I have encountered in the VA system, I have also seen in civilian care... so, I dont instantly get upset when I have to wait.

Anyway... that my opinion, even tho its off topic.

As for the reporters.. well speak your mind if you feel you have something they want... and you feel the need. I wouldn't worry too much about reprisals... I just dont see the VA caring that much to bother... the VARO that is..

Guest morgan

It's nice to hear that some veterans are getting "excellent" care through the VA system. You deserve it. But all veterans deserve it no matter where they live.

We all know that mistakes happen in both VA medical centers and in private hospitals; even so, should we just accept that? I strongly believe that NO ONE should allow below standard of care from any medical facility without a fight. And with all due respect to those who disagree with me, we certainly shouldn't say, "Oh, well, we should be grateful for what we have." Or, "I don't want to get on the VA radar..." That kind of fear paralyzes any advance for improved medical care where it IS needed for veterans.

If you are getting excellent care, how about making noise about that. Call or write your representatives and the VA and let them know what is RIGHT about your location. Who knows the shock might cause them to take a serious look at a specific facility and try to duplicate it throughout the VA system.

Fighting substandard care is a hard, time-consuming task; and sure, some jerks retaliate, but I believe we should confront those who are incompetent. Some doctors bury their mistakes.

• HadIt.com Elder

We should be grateful that they provide this service to us?

Hello!

The service is provided to us as a result of "OUR" service to this country. The respect and gratitude of this "NATION", "DEMANDS" "WE" receive it with a respectful attitude.

Any VETERAN that steps out of line without just cause is severely dealt with by the DVA.

It is my opinion veterans just looking for a name, should think twice about contacting a reporter, because there "will" be repercussions.

If a Veteran can not find any other means of dealing with abusive, disrespectfully, lousy, health care from a VA employee, Doctor or otherwise, by going through the chain of command, than bend a reporters ear all you need, to "get er done."

Stopping the mistreatment should be the priority of all of us, Veteran and DVA employee.

They deserve it attitude by "employees", should be reported to supervisors.

ALLAN