VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Need Opinions!

Rate this question

JAB

Question

Hello, I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I am trying to find out if I can be rated "permanent and totally disabled" in order to qualify for County property tax exemptions. I currently receive 100% compensation from the VA for a 1151 claim and an added amount for being homebound. I'm also receiving SS disability. Before the 1151 claim, I was 30% service-connected for an unrelated illness.

I've been told that the 1151 isn't considered service-connected, so I can't be rated P&T, as required for the exemption. In my research, I've read online that a 100% disabled Veteran who is also unable to work shall be determined to be totally disabled and that after a period of time can be presumed to be permenently disabled, but the text wasn't from the US Code or my State Code.

If anyone has any knowledge about this, please comment and tell me if I'm spinning my wheels or point me in the right direction if it can be done.

Thank you,

JAB

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You have pointed out the unfairness of Sec 1151 awards.

A Section 1151 recipient is "as if " service connected - a BIG difference from directly service connected.

Even the P & T Stutus might not get you what you want on the property tax thing- then again maybe it will.

CHAMPVA is denied to dependents of Section 1151 100% P & Ts.

I get CHAMPVA because my husband died with 100% P & T direct SC in affect.

He also died under Section 1151 because VA malpractice caused his death.

When I called CHAMPVA to ask them a question the woman checked my CHAMPVA status with VA and wrote to me that I no longer had CHAMPVA because Rod was 100% P & T under Sec 1151-not due to 100% P & T for direct SC - (that is true -100 % P & T under 1151 but the VA never admitted that before (I used this as evidence for a claim I have )

but I wrote to the Director of the RO and he immediately wrote to CHAMPVA and re established my CHAMPA as the veteran was 100% SC P & T under direct SC as well as 1151 SC.

We have considered exemptions here for vets in a small farm community- I get combat vet widows exception due to Rods combat service and also exemption due to fact his SC was 100% P & T-

I never saw your question raised anywhere before-

can you scan and attach here the exact wording of the tax office regulation? or does it specifically say that Sec 1151 claimants are not eligible for this?

Or if it is the P & T as sole reason they did not give you this tax break- are you able to get a P & T diagnosis from a real doctor that the VA would have to acknowledge as well as the tax people?

but

• HadIt.com Elder

JAB:

Welcome to Hadit. Anther route you might consider is talking to the people who grant the exemptions at the appraisal office that does your property value. If they say no than appeal it and meet the Board of Equalization who can give it to you.

Although not technically qualified you might be able to get it. Also I do not know what State you are in but in all probability you could talk to a Property Tax Agent who represents business and homeowners before the Appraisal District and for a fee they could probably secure the exemption for you.

Good Luck,

Pete

You have pointed out the unfairness of Sec 1151 awards.

A Section 1151 recipient is "as if " service connected - a BIG difference from directly service connected.

Even the P & T Stutus might not get you what you want on the property tax thing- then again maybe it will.

CHAMPVA is denied to dependents of Section 1151 100% P & Ts.

I get CHAMPVA because my husband died with 100% P & T direct SC in affect.

He also died under Section 1151 because VA malpractice caused his death.

When I called CHAMPVA to ask them a question the woman checked my CHAMPVA status with VA and wrote to me that I no longer had CHAMPVA because Rod was 100% P & T under Sec 1151-not due to 100% P & T for direct SC - (that is true -100 % P & T under 1151 but the VA never admitted that before (I used this as evidence for a claim I have )

but I wrote to the Director of the RO and he immediately wrote to CHAMPVA and re established my CHAMPA as the veteran was 100% SC P & T under direct SC as well as 1151 SC.

We have considered exemptions here for vets in a small farm community- I get combat vet widows exception due to Rods combat service and also exemption due to fact his SC was 100% P & T-

I never saw your question raised anywhere before-

can you scan and attach here the exact wording of the tax office regulation? or does it specifically say that Sec 1151 claimants are not eligible for this?

Or if it is the P & T as sole reason they did not give you this tax break- are you able to get a P & T diagnosis from a real doctor that the VA would have to acknowledge as well as the tax people?

but

Berta & Pete, thanks for the posts. Berta, good for you girl! You got in their face and got your CHAMPVA back. I suppose the old saying "The squeaky wheel gets greased" might apply. ;)

Berta, below is a copy & paste of the regulation.

I might add to my earlier info that after I was awarded the 1151 claim at 100%, it was a few years later when I was awarded the additional "housebound compensation" for a secondary disorder to the original 1151 claim and it too was rated at 100% but of course, they only pay me 100% total, which I'm content with.

It just seems to me like they're splitting hairs by saying that disability via 1151 isn't the same as SC disability, when it comes to entitlements. Heck, I was 30% SC before things started downhill. :)

STATE BENEFITS:

A. Homestead and Personal Property Tax Exemption: Veterans who have been rated, by the VA, as 100% service connected (Permanent and Total) or awarded Special Monthly Compensation for loss or loss of use of one or more limbs total blindness in one or both eyes are entitled to exemption of Homestead and Personal Property Tax. Widows, so long as they do not remarry, dependent children, during their minority, continue this entitlement. Widows, so long as they do not remarry, dependent children, during their minority, are also eligible for this entitlement if the veteran was killed or died in the scope of his military duties, is missing in action, or died from service connected causes as certified by the Veterans Administration.

"I might add to my earlier info that after I was awarded the 1151 claim at 100%, it was a few years later when I was awarded the additional "housebound compensation" for a secondary disorder to the original 1151 claim and it too was rated at 100% but of course, they only pay me 100% total, which I'm content with"

Say what!!!!!!

They do not send you extra comp under SMC?

If not you can fight that!!!!!- I am fighting a claim just like that now-1151ers are eligible for all levels of SMC.

The regs seems to hinge on direct SC- I would challange that with the tax people if I were you!

The 1151 regs have GOT to be changed-

I challenged Bonny V Principi almost 5 years ago and something with VA lately with my claims has caused this challenge to get to the place it should be at- OGC in Washington-and it could resolve a 1151 issue fairly for many.

It seems to me that if a vet is buggered or killed due to piss poor VA medical care they should get the same benefits and rights as direct SC vets.

We 1151ers are discriminated against in many ways by the VA.

By the way -who repped you and how long did your award take?

I dont see many like yours and I got a friend of mine 100% under 1151 and he got SMC too - couple hundred more a month-

Yet you say they are not paying you SMC?????

Hell= SMC comp could end up as more money per year then any tax break your property tax people wont give you !!!!!

>>>Say what!!!!!!

>>They do not send you extra comp under SMC?

Berta, I didn't make it clear and in fact, I DO get SMC. You can simmer down but I really appreciate the fire in your belly to help correct an unjustly policy. :)

What I meant was that even tough my % is over 100%, I get paid at the 100% rate, plus SMC and I should've mentioned that.

BTW, our real & personal property taxes are very high and certainly worth a fight, if I can get a battle plan.

Hey there Pete, the Board of Equalization is a good idea, maybe as last resort. So far the tax collector's office kicks the ball to the VA and says the only way to get the exemption is by getting the VA Form 20-5455 each and every year to certify that I'm "still" elgible. Maybe it's an automated "mail-out" if you ever get the 1st one.

heh, heh, it seems to me that if you're P&T which makes you elgible, the word "permanent" doesn't mean what I thought it means. ;) On 2nd thought, I think I remember reading that they can re-evaluate you, even though your P&T.

Jab - is there a tax exemption for those p/t disabled or over 65? Most states have such an exemption so I was just wondering.

If I were you I would attempt the tactic that Pete suggested. Just take you VA award along with you SSDI award for the SS people have determined that you are P and T.