VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuropathy

Rate this question

navyvet

Question

I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg.

I had the required exam that found my neuropathy had worsened . The VA changed my Rating to 20% for left foot and 20 % for right foot, however there is now no rating for left and right upper.

IS THIS STANDARD ROUTINE OF THEM ?

WHAT SHOULD I DO ?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg."

this is highly irregular, and borders on the prohibition against pyramiding. the rater who did this was incorrect. probably what happened is the next rater came along and corrected the erroneous rating. he did not take anything away from you, you are still 20 percent for each lower extremity. but on the other hand, he did not give you the increase you were seeking. bottom line, it will not do you any good to try to get back a separate rating for your lower and your upper legs. won't happen. best to go after a rating for peripheral neuropathy of the left and right upper extremities. got numbness and tingling in your hands?

"I had been rated at 10% for left foot 10% for right foot 10% for upper left leg and 10% for upper right leg."

this is highly irregular, and borders on the prohibition against pyramiding. the rater who did this was incorrect. probably what happened is the next rater came along and corrected the erroneous rating. he did not take anything away from you, you are still 20 percent for each lower extremity. but on the other hand, he did not give you the increase you were seeking. bottom line, it will not do you any good to try to get back a separate rating for your lower and your upper legs. won't happen. best to go after a rating for peripheral neuropathy of the left and right upper extremities. got numbness and tingling in your hands?

I have numbness and tingling at times in left hand and the left leg is numb to the hip , maybe a little in left leg but definitely not as bad as the left. I had an Electromyography test about 3 months ago and dr said I had moderate neuropathy in feet . and noted some in upper but not as bad .

see, neuropathy is rated as for incomplete paralysis of the peroneal nerve, which serves the leg below the knee. for neuropathy in the entire leg, it should be rated as for incomplete paralysis of the sciatic nerve, which serves the entire leg. but there should NEVER be two ratings for the same leg.

if you have numbness and tingling in your hands, put in a claim for neuropathy of the upper extremities.

see, neuropathy is rated as for incomplete paralysis of the peroneal nerve, which serves the leg below the knee. for neuropathy in the entire leg, it should be rated as for incomplete paralysis of the sciatic nerve, which serves the entire leg. but there should NEVER be two ratings for the same leg.

if you have numbness and tingling in your hands, put in a claim for neuropathy of the upper extremities.

Somehow I have the feeling my SO is going to flip . I asked him why they did away with it and got the answer "thats what they decided" with no explaination....

I am on 1200 MG of gabupentin and it has helped but know that its only temporary .I dont have the strength in my left hand like I use to .

If they rule in my favor do you think they will assign disability for sciatic nerve instead of peroneal nerve damage ? I take it its different?

if you have a VSO, ask him for a copy of the "codesheet" from your last rating. that will show what diagnostic code your neuropathy is rated under. 8521 is the coding for the peroneal nerve. 8520 is the coding for the sciatic nerve.

if you are not coded 8520 for the left leg, and you have demonstrable neuropathy in the entire leg, submit a letter asking to be rated under the 8520 coding and explain why. (the evaluations under the sciatic nerve go higher than those for the peroneal nerve). appeal if you are turned down. that is only if you can show by objective evidence that your entire leg is involved.

numbness, tingling, decreased grip strength, and loss of fine motor coordination are hallmarks of neuropathy in the hands. if you think you qualify, make the claim. it costs you nothing to ask.

if you have a VSO, ask him for a copy of the "codesheet" from your last rating. that will show what diagnostic code your neuropathy is rated under. 8521 is the coding for the peroneal nerve. 8520 is the coding for the sciatic nerve.

if you are not coded 8520 for the left leg, and you have demonstrable neuropathy in the entire leg, submit a letter asking to be rated under the 8520 coding and explain why. (the evaluations under the sciatic nerve go higher than those for the peroneal nerve). appeal if you are turned down. that is only if you can show by objective evidence that your entire leg is involved.

numbness, tingling, decreased grip strength, and loss of fine motor coordination are hallmarks of neuropathy in the hands. if you think you qualify, make the claim. it costs you nothing to ask.

Thank you for your insight , I will get hold of my SO and ask him . Will keep you updated .