VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do Not Take The Vdbc Survey

Rate this question

mountain tyme

Question

I received one of those VDBC and like all survey's I recieve they hit my file 5...but I read this artical this morning in VA watchdog.com and found it interesting and will pass it along...

A FINAL WORD ON THE VETS' SURVEY -- The Vets' Commission does not

have a justifiable "Need to Know" veterans' personal information. And,

there are absolutely no guarantees that personal information will be

adequately protected. Do NOT take the VDBC survey.

After careful consideration, I must still advise all veterans NOT to participate in the survey being taken by the Veterans' Disability Benefits Commission (VDBC).

Why?

1. The VDBC has no "Need to Know" veterans' personal information.

2. The VDBC cannot guarantee the safety of personal information.

3. ORC Macro, the company contracted to implement the survey, cannot guarantee the safety of personal information

Background on this here... http://www.vawatchdog.org/nfDEC06/nf120106-1.htm

Veterans' Advocate Jim Strickland also advises against taking the survey. That here...

http://www.vawatchdog.org/nfDEC06/nf120106-11.htm

To be fair, here are the arguments given by the Commission (specifically by Ray Wilburn, Executive Director of the VDBC) as to why you should take the survey...

http://www.vawatchdog.org/nfDEC06/nf120206-1.htm

They are NOT good arguments.

And, Mr. Wilburn's assertion that "All individual-identifying information will be separated from your actual responses and then destroyed," is not exactly truthful. If the VDBC only got answers, the answers would be meaningless. Perhaps the veteran's name will be removed from the answers, but the veteran will, most likely, be identified by amount of disability and compensation, type of disability and other necessary personal and medical identifiers to help put the answers into context. It's the only way the answers can have any statistical meaning.

Also, ORC Macro must be keeping daily backups of their huge databases, and that would include the complete information on the veteran taking the survey and the answers. They would have to do this to reconstruct the data if lost, stolen or corrupted.

If you want to hand out your personal and medical information, print up 1,000 copies at Kinko's and pass them out at the Mall.

The VDBC's history of trying to study ways to cut veterans' benefits is already the stuff of legend. They tried to study veterans who get VA compensation and SSDI with an eye to offsetting payments. They tried to study lump-sum buyouts of VA compensation. Our service organizations headed off both of those areas of study.

Let me, once again, quote the American Legion on the VDBC: "A June 6, 2005 American Legion Bulletin notes members of congress including the chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee (Steve Buyer, Indiana, 4th District) and other government officials, have publicly expressed their desire to use the VDBC as a vehicle to institute radical changes in the VA disability system that would negatively impact and restrict entitlement to benefits for a large number of veterans."

And, a simple reminder from the VDBC's charter. They are charged to determine "whether a veteran's disability or death should be compensated." Whether? That's quite a question. I thought it was a given that a veteran's disability or death should be compensated. The VDBC thinks otherwise!

----------------

Larry Scott

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

mmm. I got one too, and I didn't fill it out. Pretty much because I didn't see how it would really benefit the veteran or the VA in improving benefits or care. I tend to agree with Larry Scott.

• HadIt.com Elder

What they do with these surveys is pull out information they want to use to cut this or cut that based on answers. They pick the survey apart and use the bad stuff to cut our throats. The answers become political footballs for either party to use any way they want good or bad for vets.

• HadIt.com Elder

considering they finished their work last week and issued their report no one should be getting anymore requests for interviews by them, however the VA itself does surveys on veterans for a whole range of issues I refuse any over the phone requests for "give us a few minutes" naw I can't see it no good ever comes from them

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't get any of those stinking surveysand I would not respond if I did.

however, when someone at VA treats me well I usually drop a etter to the Administrator and commend them for doing a good job.