VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Government Money Not Yours Personally

Rate this question

lamontino

Question

I keep hearing about vets this and vets that. LOok at the employees that work for the system. SOme of them could care two cents about you. In fact, they figure they only making alittle money why should you be granted being set for life (so they think). SO what do they do they make it hard for you like its their money.

And they should make a law against Government employees that commit fraud on real veterans of benefits rightfully theres. Changing files around, adding little notes on the files to destroy the claim, requiring vets to go to numerous doctors exams when there is suffcient evidence there in the c file to grant an award, than if they really dont like you and the examinator connects the dot and they dont like his decision they send you for another exam etc.....They just get a slap on the arm for denying a vet many many years of benefits rightfully their.

There is a such thing as "Time Served Prejudice".What I mean is, that there people out here whom think so what if you got hurt if you didnt make it out of basic training you shouldnt get a dime. They could even be the very vets that is suppose to be helping you.

Than they want to excuse someone of trying to get over on the system when the system got over on the vet.........lol.........Its real funny tho. How a person can laugh and grin in your face and pretend to want to help you but is destroying you in the background. I remember hearing a RO say to another Rater ""I rate base on what Side of the Bed I got out on"".

I think employee, trainers, RO, etc.....whom Tampers a clearly rightfully claim for benefits should be charge with FRAUD. I might even suggest that To my congressMan

Edited by lamontino

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I disagree, Manitou Sprgs,entropent,oneshot in parts and some in whole statements and I affirm Cowgirls opinion.

BUt I really want to reply to entropent,oneshot. Theres alot of vets that go to the military with high intensions to do the right thing and they find out it was not for them. So they go by the apply in the very statutes to let one out of the military. Than you got the people whom just think they found a loop in the system (because they dont like it in the military) to get out with pay so they make up something AFTER they are granted a medical discharge with NO smrs what so ever. Understandably, they are denied benefits in the long haul

But to say a vet is not considerate a VEt because he only server a month or two is totally upsetting. I think if you all or anyone else here feels like you do as to what you wrote, you might want to consider RETIRING for helping peoples here. Because honey baby theres alot of people here that are afraid to say they only service the military for a short time or I know alot of people here whom have email me whom said "they was afraid to say in the forums that they only service the military a few days" but there profile states that they was in vietnam, desert storm, etc....when exactly they didnt do NOt even ONe TOUR in the theatre.

My job, is here to help EVERY VET AND NO ONE IS LEFT BEHIND. The has always be T Bird model for this site as well as others. Understandly, No one but a few of us even know if peoples are really telling the truth or not. In CADins is my Theory "IM HERE TO HELP ANY ONE THAT NEEDS HELP EVEN IF I HAVE TO STEP DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL".

Some vets are even scared to tell the truth because people like you all are "TIme Service Prejudice". BUt good, MEN like me (Traveling MAN) steps right in the crossfire to help people that need the help eXspecially my brother that served even one day. Because they might be afraid of replusive statments made like you all have written.

And as far as your statement,entropent, about "all the way to hell etc...." I would suggest you rethink what you said. ANd then ask yourself "if I went to basic train(which you already know back in 1968 they was putting recruits on the fronts 2-3weeks of basic)then went to war in about a week into service, basic. And they sent me to war on the fronts in which I did nothing but give out supplies. ANd everyday of which only consence of 4 days and you hear every day air attack alarms going off and bombs and weapons going off. You complain of earache an they access you and ship you back home within a day period of time. You get check etc.... you get out of the service and WHAM what your going to do now.....six years later..........you cant hear you suffer from tightening of the jaws etc....... IM sure now you get the essence of what I'M sayiing

Than you got to say to yourself "if I pass on threw the sands" and my wife is left behind. And you havent been married maybe a year. HEY guess what, she got to fight for benefits now to get up pay the bills.

Its alot and alot of stories that people dont wont to share on here because of people like your train of thoughts. Understandably, they lie here of them being vietnam vets etc.......to comfort themselves and eventally it comes out of the real thing why they are here FOr Help" I always tell them to get help get help ask and dont be afraid. In this very thread as you notice in people browsin this there only five responses but over a 100 views.

I have heard horror stories both of VETs that only severed a couple of days to 30 day to 20 years. And trust me. the military will not let you out with an honorable discharge just for jokes or lies. Thats called MEDICAL DISCHARGE.

The question is now are you two travelin Man???

LOdge#

1. May I politely inquire as to what part of my statement, "Hmmm...I understand what you are saying, but I have no problem with a basic/boot camp trainee who has a legitimate injury that was incurred during that training. On the other hand, I have no

sympathy for personnel who lie on their enlistment documents about eligibility and/or previous

medical problems. IMHO you have some good points though... " do you object?

2. Could you expound on your comment, "BUt good, MEN like me (Traveling MAN) steps right in the crossfire to help people that need the help eXspecially my brother that served even one day. Because they might be afraid of replusive statments made like you all have written."? Are you saying

that folks who disagree with you are not good MEN? Just curious...

Thanks...

• HadIt.com Elder

I see that we have our opinions and personal views on the issues here. Can I offer y'all a cup of coffee and a donut, or somethin'? Bottom line, we are in one anothers "company" here and striving to make life better, for each of us, our families and our siblings on Hadit. Ok, enough Mom talk, if ya want to change VA's laws, have at it, if not help me struggle with it.Thanks fer lettin' me gripe too! smiles,cg

First, MEPS is supposed to screen for mental and physical problems and exclude all persons that are not healthy enough for military service. I'm quite sure the DOD is aware that some persons will attempt to "sneak by". As such, I have no problem accepting the fact that only healthy individuals are entering training. We all know this is not allways the case but there are flaws in all things military.

On the first day of military duty you are a soldier. You are on the job. All soldiers get on the job training. It starts on day one and ends when military service is over. If a soldier has been in service for 18 years and 10 days, and is not in active combat on that day, he/she is either training or preparing for battle. Since this soldier is a soldier from day one to 18 years and ten days, then he/she is a veteran from that day one when service is over.

My opinion: If you need a seperation from the basic training soldier/veteran there is only one way. Anyone that has not been in combat is simply called a soldier/veteran. Any that has is called a combat soldier/veteran.

That said, bennifits are the same for all harmed soldiers/veterans. Whether it occured in combat or training. Combat Veterans deserve priority and respect.

It's been my experience that those that are tooting their own horn as being above the rest usually are exagerating their experience. This is local observation, not based on the forum or anyone here. (Please, no offence to anyone)

Time

timetowinarace--

I agree with your remarks about benefits, respect, veterans, etc; they were very well stated. I do want to add a comment regarding, "First, MEPS is supposed to screen for mental and physical problems and exclude all persons that are not healthy enough for military service." Certainly that is true, BUT there is also a reliance on the recruiter and applicant to be truthful in completing the various forms for enlistment.

Perhaps my position about inaccurate statements about prior medical problems (or other disqualifactions for enlistment) is more based in the abstract than reality since I suspect most of these cases involving fradulent enlistment are never discovered unless the applicant/enlistee subsequently reveals the prior medical problem and/or other disqualification.

There are alot good people up here doing wonderful things to help fellow veterans!

I know that I have strong opinions that are perhaps contrasting to the majority of people up here on some issues. First of all, I want to say that even those I disagree with up here are fine, decent veterans and supporters whom I would trust in 99% of the information they provide because it is genuine advise from the heart but I have a hard time with term "fraudlent" in any enlistment! Please, I am not directing this at anyone in particular because it is a term used but I myself was accused of this while on active duty! Yes, I was allowed to enter the military with a felony record! I was charged with receiving stolen property(a watch) but my probation officer worked out a deal with a navy recruiter who got a waiver for me to enter the service. This was common back in the 70's and 80's and I never had any problems until I came across an ensign who was a former enlisted sailor. He was eventually disciplined and forced to retire years later I found out. Anyway, he was buddies with the legal officer aboard my ship and he tried to have me discharged for "fraudlent" enlistment and caused me much grief before I asked to be sent TAD to the master-at-arms force to get away from him. I think he was responsible for over 200 people going to mast during a 9 month cruise and ruined many sailor's career. I have even served as division career counselor on the America during a time when the navy kicked out many servicemembers for being overweight some with 16-17 years of service and without a pension.

I strongly believe that a person who completes their military service honorably should be entitled to all benefits and compensation even if it is pre-existing. Now, I also believe that if a condition is discovered while on active duty, it is the military's obligation to determine whether or not the veteran should be discharged at that time, if not, this means that the service determines the veteran to be fit for duty! I retired from the reserves in 2003 with 22 years including 12 active.

I would hate to think that they would try deny my retirement pay at age 60.

Finally, speaking of age 60, I can't for the life of me see why the government refuses to lower the age to 55 for those reservists fighting in Iraq. Sad thing is, I spoke with a group of young marines who just got home from Iraq(reservists) and they were under the impression that they would get retirement pay at the end of 20 years service in the reserves!

I wonder who told them this lie because reservists have to wait until age 60 to receive retirement pay! Young people are so gullible!

• HadIt.com Elder

I've just got a couple of things to say, then I'll disappear back from whence I came:

I'm one of those that didn't complete basic training.

I was doing just fine, no problems, kinda enjoying the physical fitness part of it.

I graduated from high school, where I was the starting center of a state championship basketball team. I was All-State champion in wrestling....and was offered a full athletic scholarship to Okla. State Univ.

Instead, I chose to join the USMC, I gave up a free college education to join. I WANTED to be a MARINE, and that's all I have to say about that.

About five weeks into basic, I was on the obstacle course, on the top of the cargo net tower, with a DI doing his shouting thing......as I started down the net, one of the recruits near the bottom fell flat of his back....and the DI is screaming at me to JUST JUMP P*SSY, JUMP!

So I did, and wound up falling on this fool as he starts to get up. All my weight, web gear and all, wound up on my left foot/ankle.

I spent 40+ years of my life with a destroyed left ankle......the USN sent me home with a broken fibula, on crutches....and it took my family physician back home to find the broken bone....but, by the time he found it, it had been broken so long that it had damaged nerves and tendons, not to mention the fractured malleousis (sp?).

Well, the Navy Doc said that it was an old injury that I had while playing football.....so it was there when I entered the Corps...and that it was not injured in the Corps so they didn't owe me nothing except my train ticket home.

I put up with the pain and the disability for 43 years. Then, for some reason, I filed a claim with the VA. And in the process, what with buddy statements and old medical records, etc., I wound up with Service Connection for the injury I had suffered in basic.

I promise, if it had not been for that injury, I would have been a good Marine. That's what I wanted to be. Instead, I've lived in shame for the last 40+ years because I didn't MAKE IT.

I never intended to be a burden, to get benefits that should have gone to someone more deserving than me, I didn't, I really didn't. I had friends that didn't make it back from Nam....and I spent all my life living with that fact.

Finally, my physical pain and my mental anquish caused me to try to reach out, to get some help.

I am sorry, I wished it had worked out differently.

I came back to the small town in Oklahoma....in shame...had one boy's mother throw coffee on me in the cafe in town. I came back to nothing, no college, no Marine Corps and a father who would have nothing to due with me.........everybody told me that I should be happy HAPPY to be back home...yeah, right.

Now, I find that there are people that still feel the same way about me, people right here on this board.

I would have been a good Marine.