VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Vet License Plates

Rate this question

Sgt eve

Question

I received my disabled vet plates today. I'm not trying to sound greedy at all but when I filled out the form I put down both of our cars, since I drive both and they both are in my name. Will those come at a later time? My registration is already due and and I don't want to get a ticket but I don't want to pay to get the other car registered and then the plates come in. Any experience in this anybody? Thanks so much.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Woops. should have said you have to be 100%, either schedular or TDIU to get the plates in Tennessee. You'll have to have a special letter from the local VARO. I think it took about 2 weeks to get mine after requesting it on the 1-800 number.

Again rules vary from state to state.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes we just learned that here in South Carolina our disabled vet plates mena they are permanent no more mail in tags or fees just when we sell the car we take the tag off and submit the paperwork for the new vehicle we are putting the plate on SC allows 2 "free" plates anymore vehicles than that and you are paying for the other ones most of my friends put the vet plates on the most expensive car and pay the fees for the beat up old trucks lol

• HadIt.com Elder

yes we just learned that here in South Carolina our disabled vet plates mena they are permanent no more mail in tags or fees just when we sell the car we take the tag off and submit the paperwork for the new vehicle we are putting the plate on SC allows 2 "free" plates anymore vehicles than that and you are paying for the other ones most of my friends put the vet plates on the most expensive car and pay the fees for the beat up old trucks lol

• HadIt.com Elder

In most states, the plates can only be used on the car/truck they were registered for. In my state, you only get one set free for one car/truck.

If the preprinted form you received with the plates shows both cars/trucks, I'd really be surprised.

Obviously, you should call the local/state tag office to try to get a correct answer for your area. Laws vary considerably from state to state.

I received my disabled vet plates today. I'm not trying to sound greedy at all but when I filled out the form I put down both of our cars, since I drive both and they both are in my name. Will those come at a later time? My registration is already due and and I don't want to get a ticket but I don't want to pay to get the other car registered and then the plates come in. Any experience in this anybody? Thanks so much.

In Nebraska, disabled veteran plates don't reduce the fees or taxes. When you get disabled veteran plates you pay all the regular fees and taxes and an additional $5 for the disabled veteran plate. This even includes 100% T&P veterans