VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fiduciary Questions

Rate this question

B. Capit

Question

I was rated for 100% in May 2007, and I sent a letter that month explaining I am incompetent to handle my benefits and want my mother to handle it. Last week I was told a fidcuciary would come to my mom's house to interview us to see if she is eligible to handle the benefits.

I was told to wait 1-2 weeks by someone at the VA in DC, but I don't know if they are bs'ing me. He wrote down "hardship" on my paperwork, because I am homeless and living in my car, and I have a seven month old daughter.

So here is my question. Will it really be 1-2 weeks before a fiduciary comes to interview us? And when that happens, how long do I wait before I actually see the money? I am owed over $20,000 in back pay. Will it take another six months after a fiduciary approves my mother to handle the benefits before I see the money?

Can the VA provide me and my daughter emergency shelter? My fiance called a homeless shelter, but the waiting list is over six months, and men aren't allowed.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Brian

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should call the VA and advise them of your circumstances. I don't know where you live but I think that the VA has programs for homeless Vets.

Good Luck

Generally they are pretty good about getting someone there pretty quick. That's been my experience with other claimaints so far anyway.

Pete is ABSOLUTLY correct... call the VA tomorrow at 8 am.... tell them you are homeless until this is done etc. They'll get it moving.... just call them at ONCE. Call both the 1-800 number, your local VAMC and your congressional rep. ASAP.

Also you can go here: http://www1.va.gov/homeless/index.cfm

for more information...

Edited by sixthscents

Brian, where do you live?? You can go too any VA hospital and they will direct you too the nearest "Homeless Coordinator" for that area..usually, right @ the hospital.They too can make calls on your behalf to the "REGIONAL OFFICE" in your area, to check on the status of your claim..It really helps.[ its confirming your situation ] let me know where you live and maybe i can give you the name to call.....Been there, done that..The folks here at "HADIT" are a very valuable resource....William

Brian-do you have a service officer or vet rep- the VAMCs often have one right on their grounds-

Someone has to make sure that this gets resolved for you- it took a friend of mine many months waiting for the VA to interview his wife to accept his comp as his fiduciary- due to his incompetent status.

You are in a critical situation-with an award that has been granted- you should not be waiting like this-

I strongly suggest that you get a vet rep or even your Congressman to help move this along.

I see you said Allegany County- do you mean Allegany County in NY?

I am in Steuben County NY - I can post some reps here if this is where you live-

Thank you all for quick replies! Just wish that VA does the same to all vets.

Currently im in Maryland. Everytime i call the 1800 number, it always direct me to Baltimore Regional Office. Those people said that since Im in Md, it will always go there. I have to be in DC to get the DC people because thats where my file is. Last week, i personally went to I St. in DC and thats when a rep wrote down hardship. The next day,(saturday) I recieved a letter stating that the VA approved me as incompetent. Why cant the VA give out actual local numbers instead of a 1800 number?

I also talked to a va rep in Washington Dc VA Medical Center 3 months or so ago but she said she doesnt have my file and she cant help me. Right about then i had a mental breakdown. She also recommended that i need to talk to my psychiatrist again because i apparently have "anger issues" that Iv'e been keeping inside me.

Also, my lovely congressman never wrote back to me. I already tried that months ago. Im still waiting. gave him my phone number, my situation back then wasnt as bad so i guess he ignored it. His interest is from what i see is all about Jenna 6.. and nothing else. I guess he wants to be re elected.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Without you all, Ill be at a lost.

Brian -at least you have internet access- dont hesitate to send an Iris inquiry to the VA-they will send it to your VARO- the Iris format will guide you step by step-

It is at the VA web site under Contact Us:

http://www.va.gov/index.htm