VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Ask For An Earlier Eed

Rate this question

oldsol423

Question

First of all..... THANKS TO ALL FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION I HAVE RECEIVED ON HADIT FOR THE LAST 2 YEAR. Finally I was awarded 100% IU along with P&T status. No future examinations scheduled. MY QUESTION IS:: I filed a NOD in March 2007 to be made P&T. March 28th was made my EED. My wife whom has been in the hospital 5 times in the last 2 years has applied for CHAMPVA. The Champva rep. told me the last 2 hospital stays(one in June and one August ) bills would be rectroactive since my EED was March 28. (IS THERE ANY WAY TO ASK THE VA FOR AN EARLIER EFFECTIVE DATE). I WAS P&T IN MY OPINION MORE THAN 2 YEARS AGO, MY PROBLEM IS CONVINCING THE VA OF THAT.... Any help or suggestions would be appreciated... may GOD bless all of you..... THANKS

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Wish there was the VA will normally use the date you applied. I think that if you were getting Social Security Disability you can go back and get an earlier effective date but I don't know the mechanics. Maybe someone else can help?

Wish there was the VA will normally use the date you applied. I think that if you were getting Social Security Disability you can go back and get an earlier effective date but I don't know the mechanics. Maybe someone else can help?

A long story made short:

Applied for disability--heart defect: 1999

Denied: 2000

reapplied with new & material evidence: 30 Aug 06

Awarded: 10% 30 Aug 07 with an effective date of 30 Aug 06 (VA did not make the date of the first application the effective date)

Hope your situation is resolved with a retroactive date--this was my limited experience.

Did you NOD specifically for the EED P & T and then ask for it as retroactive award to a specific date?

These claims can succeed but the vet must prove they were P & T by medical evidence -prior to the P & T EED that VA gave them.

A SSA award for the same SC disability can help in cases like this-you might not get more than a year prior but -with strong medical evidence- you might succeed in getting at least a date that would cover some of your wifes medical bills via CHAMPVA.

You might sure need a strong medical opinion that fully supports that the EED for P & T they gave you is wrong.

Edited by Berta