VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Secondary To Diabetes

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

Thanks to everyone for all your help on this site.

I am getting ready to submit a claim for my appeal for hypertension as secondary to diabetes and am wondering if anyone knows of any favorable court cases.

I have tried to do a search for BVA decisions but have not had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Unless your HBP is due to renal dysfunstion directly from DMII or due to atherosclerosis directly due to DMII (both have to be shown by medical evidence-the VA will more then likely deny the HBP as secondary and say it is essential HBP-meaning no known eitiology.

There are claims like this at the BVA web site that show why the vet succeeded in getting HBP as secondary to DMII and also why they failed to gain SC for HBP.

The outgoing secertary of the Va made a statement that hypertension should be put on the presumtive list, a couple of months ago...I have been turned down for hypertension secondary to Diabetes...file it anyway because if it does get to be presumtive, you'll be paid back to you file date....

Yep.

1. I also have a NOD in progress HTN 2ndary to DMII; long term effect from AO. Been 5 months now. VARO-OAKLAND says same excuses..It's in the system, just wait..So I wait!

2. Looks like my re-open case(Tinnitus & OSA) is moving a little bit. Have a C & P appt for my Sleep Apnea-Cardio Pulmonary this coming week. We'll see...

M21-1 Part 6, Change 118 September 2004:

k. Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension. When a veteran is service connected for diabetes mellitus and diabetic nephropathy, and has a diagnosis of hypertension, review the medical evidence and determine when the hypertension was diagnosed relative to the diabetic nephropathy. Then:

(1) If the medical evidence shows that hypertension was diagnosed after diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, grant service connection for hypertension as secondary to diabetes mellitus.

(2) If the medical evidence shows that hypertension was diagnosed before diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, and there has been no change in the treatment of hypertension or increase in blood pressure readings since diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, deny service connection for hypertension as not secondary to diabetes mellitus.

(3) If the medical evidence shows that hypertension was diagnosed before diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, but that there was a change in the treatment of hypertension and/or an increase in blood pressure readings since diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, obtain a medical opinion to determine if hypertension was aggravated by the service-connected diabetic nephropathy.

(4) If it is unclear from the medical evidence when hypertension was diagnosed, or whether there has been an increase in the hypertension disability since diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, obtain a medical opinion to determine if hypertension developed or was aggravated by the service-connected diabetic nephropathy.

Diabetic nephropathy:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000494.htm

Edited by Berta

IM IN THE SAME BOAT. I was diagnosed with HYPERTENSION BEFORE diabetes was turned down . then a year later had to increase meds so put claim in for Hypertension and was turned down again . Now We Wait or file an appeal ?

M21-1 Part 6, Change 118 September 2004:

k. Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension. When a veteran is service connected for diabetes mellitus and diabetic nephropathy, and has a diagnosis of hypertension, review the medical evidence and determine when the hypertension was diagnosed relative to the diabetic nephropathy. Then:

(1) If the medical evidence shows that hypertension was diagnosed after diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, grant service connection for hypertension as secondary to diabetes mellitus.

(2) If the medical evidence shows that hypertension was diagnosed before diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, and there has been no change in the treatment of hypertension or increase in blood pressure readings since diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, deny service connection for hypertension as not secondary to diabetes mellitus.

(3) If the medical evidence shows that hypertension was diagnosed before diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, but that there was a change in the treatment of hypertension and/or an increase in blood pressure readings since diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, obtain a medical opinion to determine if hypertension was aggravated by the service-connected diabetic nephropathy.

(4) If it is unclear from the medical evidence when hypertension was diagnosed, or whether there has been an increase in the hypertension disability since diabetic nephropathy was diagnosed, obtain a medical opinion to determine if hypertension developed or was aggravated by the service-connected diabetic nephropathy.

Diabetic nephropathy:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000494.htm