VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Bit Of A Scare From My Dmii

Rate this topic

While driving home from work last Tuesday afternoon, I noticed that I suddenly had blurred double vision. I also noticed a dull ache, a tightness on the temple side of my left eye.

Once I was home, I looked in the bathroom mirror and checked for potential stroke indicators (facial drooping, uneven smile, etc), but as far as I could discern....nothing except for the blurred double vision.

When my wife arrived home, she got out her otoscope and examined my eyes. Again, nothing out of the ordinary.

Next morning, I awoke still with the blurred double vision and left temple dull ache/tightness, so I called my doctor and went in.

She did a thorough diagnostic exam and then mentioned the "S" word (stroke) -- thinking that I may have had a minor stroke (a TIA). She made appointments for me with a neurologist and an eye doctor for the next morning and told me to go home, do nothing, and definitely not to work (I teach aquatic therapy & exercise classes in a 90 degree pool).

Thursday morning, I went first to the neurologist for his exam. Then, I went to my eye doctor for his exam, and then back to the neurologist for a MRI and a MRA.

By mid-afternoon, the neurologist, after reading my films, agreed with my eye doctor that I had had a minor TIA/occlusion to the 4th cranial nerve that had caused my left eye to no longer track in synch with my right eye on eye movements, causing the blurred double vision.

The bad news: both doctors said that such an event is not unusual with DMII patients, especially if the diabetes has been around for awhile (I was diagnosed in 1994). They both explained that this was just one of the more common side effects of diabetes.

The good news: due to my diligent treatment of my diabetes (I'm very compliant with medication, diet, and exercise), both doctors expect my complete recovery within 1 to 2 months - that the blurred double vision would cease. Both doctors also told me to continue my daily EC aspirin dosage (I've been doing so since 1996).

More good news: the neurologist was pleasantly surprised that my MRI and MRA did not show the "usual" indications in my brain of long-term diabetes (he said that he expected to see small "spots" in my brain due to my having had diabetes since the early-to-mid 1990s). He informed me that my brain had zero such spots.

I have to type with one eye closed. When I drive, I discovered that if I tuck my chin down on my chest and then look out straight ahead over the top of the steering wheel, my blurred double vision is minimized, almost eliminated.

I'll definitely be glad when my healing/recovery is complete. -- Michael

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had it since 1995 and I already get blurry vision but not double vision. My thirty day average is 144 so I do have pretty good control at this time. I am kind of bouncy though and have had a real hard time being consistent.

I will keep you in my prayers that you recover quickly.