Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Case Closed

Flatbroke

Question

Called the 800 # today and asked the lady if there was any activity on my PTSD claim. She said the case had been closed on Sept 17. I asked WHY and that I had recieved NO NOTIFICATION that my claimed had been closed or why. She filled out a form to send up the food chain to find out why and that I should recieve some kind of reason within a couple of weeks. Do I hold my breath and hope some one corrects this screw up. Or write a letter to the director of the St. Louis R.O. and ask for an explanation???? :lol:

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

When you make a claim the VA has to either deny it or approve it. They cannot just close it with no action. They have to give you a reason why your claim did not fly.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup, what John just said.

If you turn in a claim for "tennis elbow" from spending too much time over at the "O" club....they either have to grant the claim or deny the claim, and, which ever one of these two actions that they take......there will be mail coming to a post offfice box near you, explaining what, why, when......

They don't simply pull out a rubber stamp that says "Case Closed", at least not without having communicated with you before hand.

Now, after having said that, I will also tell you that when my file was at the BVA for however many years it was at the BVA, my Wife and I had a little contest going between us. See, I'd call the BVA weekly (or maybe I should say "weakly") and ask about my claim. She and I would have us a little bet as to what the BVA would tell me this week......... :lol:

A telephone answerer at the Appeals Management Center told me the same thing, my case was closed, he was a rookie.

But what happened was that my claims file had been transferred to a medical facility for a medical opinion.

I would bet that your claims file was sent to another location for some other work.

Here is a link to my post about this same subject

my posts

Happy Trails

I am going to give them till the 1st then realy start asking questions. I am waiting till after my DRO hearing so as not to rock the boat to bad. I realize that I should be notified but the lady on the phone sounded like she knew what she was talking about so I guess wait and see. At least this way I dont have a dead line ( 60 days) since I have not been notified. LOL :lol:

You need to file a NOD and not wait. Somewhere there is a regulation that states that a claim is deemed denied after a certain time period. I dont know exactly where the regs are on this but I will find them.

This came up a couple of years ago but I dont remmber who was effected by it.

You can send them an Inquiry via the VA "Contact Us" system at the VA web site.

If I dont like what a 800# rep says- I just call back to get a second opinion.

Dont you have a vet rep to look into this?

Do you have copies of ALL that they sent you and you sent them?

Like the DRO election form?

Hey Flatbroke:

The same thing happened to me once. I called to check on my claim and they said that, "your claim has been closed, AND filed away as being finished". The VA rep apologized for the mishap and luckily, put my claim ahead and continued the decision process. So it does happen and I am almost certain that this is the case with your claim. Some "bonehead" goofed. That goes to show that you can't take a break while pursuing VICTORY!!! Good luck.

jmack

I don't beleive there is a reg on closing claims after a certain time frame without notifacation. I could be wrong.

I do know that the courts have ruled that if a decision has been made on one claim and the vet was notified of that decision that other claims in the same folder can be closed with no notification. I believe this was last year sometime.

If you had a decision on one claim but another or others were still pending they CAN simply quit working the claims folder. Close it and forget it. if a NOD is not filed within the year it cannot be re-opened without new evidence.

I would hope this isn't the situation your in.

Information on this ruling should be found on VAWatchdog. I'll try to find it when I can.

Time

:rolleyes:If you remember back in Sept they sent me a denial on my appeal even though the Meeting was set up with the DRO on Oct 24th. So maybe they used this as an excuse to close the claim!

I will call tomorrow and check again and see if the results are the same. I am taking the denial to the DRO hearing and at the end of the meeting I am going to ask about it.

My attorneys have been handling my case since 1996 (doing a great job) ( and doing it Pro Bono) and they are still amazed at the stupidy that goes on and one of them is a retired JAG officer.

Another of my attorneys was a JAG officer and has had to retire from law because of altimers which is a shame because of the great mind that was lost.

I had a meeting with my attorneys yesterday to set up everything and the first 15 minutes was talking about the mistakes the VA has made repeatedly. :lol:

Good luck Pete

Hello there, the same thing happened to my claim going through the RO in st louis. They told me it was closed but,then i received a call from a coach and they said they wanted to do a phone interview with me. I told them i was just told that my case (they said) had been closed and they told me that they knew nothing about that and continued to ask me questions related to my claim. Maybe yours is the same type of thing happening. With the VA alot of times it seems the right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing. good luck