VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Disability & Work

Rate this question

david walker

Question

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

if you are 100% for mental disorders including ptsd well it just won't add up for the va, if you are so mentally disabled as to be 100% it would not be possible to hold a job.

I know I hold a minorty view on this and will only state it once here so as not to cause a fuss. I understand the thoughts about it but don't neccisarily agree. I also know the VA will take the majority view also.

That said, a physically disabled vet will endure a certain amount of hardship to overcome his/her disabilities to find a niche to work in. As such, should that vet not be penalized for doing so. If a mentally disabled vet can endure the same amount of hardship, in a different way, why should the vet be penalized for doing so?

As a mentally disabled vet, I find this discriminatory. I meet the requirements of the average person with my deficits for 100% schedualar. Because it is actuall brain damage it will never be repairable. The same for the physically disabled from some type of nerve damage.

I am allways hoping to come accross that niche that allows me to do something with the rest of my life. It is doubtfull that I ever will, but without that hope I may as well lay down and die. If I ever find it, I will take it. If I am discriminated against for doing so I will sue. I am no less a person than the physically disabled.

Enough said.

Time

• HadIt.com Elder

Agrees with Time. October is Disability Employment Awareness month. For some people, work and activity is a way of coping or dealing with lifes issues. I have too many freinds and family that I could use as examples, but a senior citizen who could stay depressed and alone in an apartment, finds volunteer work or a low paying job, thats part of living and dealing with issues, visible or not. Other individuals who have "mental health" issues result of substance abuse, alchoholl or drugs, auto accident TBI or a felony due to ADHD impulsiveness work all around, with and serve us daily, they just dont wear placards or tatoos! If one abides by the rules when it comes to disability compensation, some beneficial work or activity is fine and necessary! my nonmedical opinion,cg

October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month. This annual observance, designed to recognize the contributions of workers with disabilities, began in 1988 with the Presidential Proclamation of Public Law 100-630 (Title III, Sec 301a). This law replaced "National Employ the Handicapped Week," which had been celebrated annually since 1945 during the first week in October

I am SC'd for MDD at 50%. It is extremely hard to maintain employment on a level that once was considered a "breeze". Being 100% P/T, not IU, I was able to work. But let me tell you that it did'nt last long, and I hated that because not only was it almost six figures that I was earning, it helped me cope with my mental issues. However, the Psy was right when she rated me in saying, "veteran will not be able to MAINTAIN gainful employment". I was out to prove her wrong because I wanted to WORK. Now I sit here because It eventually took its toll on me and I had to quit working because of my mental incapacity.

And as I am typing I have forgot what it is I am commenting on, go figure. Let me regroup and see why I was mad when I began typing this. Oh, probably time for my meds. Darnit. LOL, anyway I am with cowgirl, good luck!!

jmack

Ex-Senator Bob Dole is 100% P&T. He was employed by the US Congress and Senate for a ton of years while 100% disabled and most recently was co-chairman of the Dole/Shalala committee making recommendations for the future of VA benefits. I doubt that even the most hardened VA employee questions the legality of him working while receiving VA compensation. Except for IU compensation and VA income-related pensions, the ability to be gainfully employed while concurrently considered by the VA to be 100% disabled is a non-issue.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 100% for a mental condition working is a big issue. If you are 100% for a mental condition and the VA finds out you are working you will be called in for a C&P exam. They will ask you if you are working. If you say yes, you will then get a rating decision a few months later telling you that you have been reduced to 30%. The main thing that kept me from getting a rating higher than 30% was the fact I worked full time at the post office. If you can maintain full employment then you probably are not 70-100% mentally disabled. It stands to reason although it may not be fair since they guys with physical injuries have an opportunity to have much better lives than a person who cannot get out of their chair for days due to depression.