VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Disability & Work

Rate this question

david walker

Question

• Answers 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

the problem here on Hadit is many of these veterans have spent years getting the VAROs to rate them on PTSD and very few obtain 100% schedular for PTSD and to imply to them that they CAN work and won't lose their 100% is misleading and can cause them some very serious consequences anyone can go to work anytime they feel like it there is no law against it, the VA can also call you back in after they learn from the IRS that you have earned income and re-evaluate you

they can and they do they have done it for lessor reasons please do NOT encourage people on 100% schedular for PTSD that they can legally go back to work without the VA messing with them because that just is not the case

the problem here on Hadit is many of these veterans have spent years getting the VAROs to rate them on PTSD and very few obtain 100% schedular for PTSD and to imply to them that they CAN work and won't lose their 100% is misleading and can cause them some very serious consequences anyone can go to work anytime they feel like it there is no law against it, the VA can also call you back in after they learn from the IRS that you have earned income and re-evaluate you

they can and they do they have done it for lessor reasons please do NOT encourage people on 100% schedular for PTSD that they can legally go back to work without the VA messing with them because that just is not the case

Testvet,

You are correct. Period.

However, there are more ratings for mental dissorders than just PTSD. I have not said a PTSD Veteran can get or keep a 100% rating while employed. I don't know a great deal about PTSD and leave that advice to those who do.

But, to say that someone rated 100% for a mental condition cannot be employed is false in my opinion. The rating for my cognative impairment due to injury is based on cold hard testing. Whether or not I am employed does not change those results. Future testing will not change those results.

The problem here on Hadit is that a broad sword is being used for people with mental impairments. Because PTSD and MDD is prevalant among us, it is assumed we all suffer in the same way.

Brain injury is going to be a big issue with many of our new Brothers and Sisters. The time is now to have our facts straight. I don't believe lumping everyone together with a mental disorder is to everyone's beniffit. It may work somewhat for rating purposes but does not reflect how it effects our lives individually.

So yes, I stand by my words. It may be better to answer these questions on whether or not a 100% veteran can work or not on an indiviual basis. I believe my origanal answer to the origanal question was "depends on the disability but generally yes." Something to that effect anyway.

Time

Thank you Time, there are indeed other mental impairments we should keep in mind besides PTSD and depression, organic mental syndrome being just one. There's a lot of discussion about PTSD and depression here, but not so much about other forms which may or may not prevent the veteran's employment, keeping in mind his other disabilities that might bring him to 100% schedular in the aggregate.

• HadIt.com Elder

TestVet knows what he is talking about in this case. It goes for all mental impairments that are rated 100% schedular. It does not just mean PTSD. Many here are rated for other conditions besides PTSD. The diagnosis does not matter. What matters is your level of impairment. We would all like to go back to work and live the life we did before we became disabled. I had a pretty good life. I made good money.

Vets with mental disorders are treated differently than those with physical disorders. There is no question in my mind about this. If you want the 100% compensation you have to play by VA rules. I think it is unfair. It is sort of an all or nothing system. Vets under 30 who are rated 100% are really the worst off since they lose years of work life and potential SSA, pension and potential earnings from IRA's and 401-K's.

...not to mention the embarrassing STIGMA that still accompanies anyone, vet or non-vet, who has received the label of "mental disorder."

It's 2007, but more like the Dark Ages in that respect.

-- John D.

• HadIt.com Elder

...not to mention the embarrassing STIGMA that still accompanies anyone, vet or non-vet, who has received the label of "mental disorder."

It used to bother me to be PTSD 100% VET, but screw those other people, you don't owe them an explanation. I am retired, period, end of conversation.

Don