VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Squamous Cell Carcinoma Of The Larynx

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I had biopsies done last Thurs at the VAMC in Iowa City. The vocal chords was negative but what they call the false vocal chord in the fold was Squamous-Cell Carcinoma of the Larynx.

They are going to call me tomorrow for arrangements for me to get there and get a CT scan to determine the size and whether it has spread to my lymph node glands or lungs.

The question I have is whether or not this falls in to the Presumptive AO conditions.

I see where they have one that is "Respiratory Cancers (cancer of the lung, bronchus, larynx, or trachea)" and also "Soft Tissue Sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's Sarcoma, or mesothelioma)."

Does the cancer I have fit in the Respiratory Cancer or Soft Tissue Sarcoma?

Is the type of cancer I have presumptive condition for AO claim?

After the CT scan they will know more about what type of treatment I will need. I plan to get a copy of the diagnosis and submit a claim but my claims have taken so long to get to the rating board where they are currently pending. If I do submit the AO claim under presumptive, will it delay my claims that have been pending for almost three years and with the rater as I was told yesterday?

The diagnosis from the VA in Iowa City is all I should need to file claim for it right?

Where do I find this type cancer diagnostic codes in the 38CFR4 that will show the rating percentage for it?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hey this kind of cancer is not contagious, at least that's what I have read and been told.

Surely there are some folks here on hadit that know about the Larynx Cancer that could help me find my way to it to file a claim.

Hi, strongly suggest you file claim for larynx cancer immediately. You can efile at VA.gov using Vonapp. Do not wait - each month you do not file is a month less of 100% award. As long as you have presumtive, diagnosis, and proof of Vietnam service (DD214), its a slam-dunk. I know because I went thru it in 2006. Best wishes.

Thanks VietVet,

I submitted my claim for larynx cancer about an hour ago and received the confirmation number.

Are you in remission or are you still receiving treatments. If you can please tell me what to expect. I hope your treatments were successful. How are you doing now?

I just sincerely hope that my new claim will not delay my claims that are currently with the rating board and add another year or two to the almost 3 year wait already.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just sincerely hope that my new claim will not delay my claims that are currently with the rating board and add another year or two to the almost 3 year wait already.

Berta,

Do you have time to help this veteran. I would if I had the knowledge.

Can anyone answer this question?

My prayers are with you.

Josephine

Rocky- this case mght help you-

http://www.va.gov/vetapp00/files1/0003410.txt

It seems to me checking some similiar claims at the BVA- that "squamous cell" puts you into the presumptive regs-

Cancer of the larynx is distintly different from the STS regs-

then again- so is Lung cancer due to AO-

but the VA recently denied a Vietnam veteran's widow whose husband's lung cancer caused his death.

They said it was not a soft tissue sarcoma and denied under that basis.

Would your doctor be able to clarify if your cancer falls into the soft tissue regs?

The above case might also have some rating info-

Also- if the cancer is potentially not presumptive - you could seek a very strong IMO from an expert in dioxin or carcinogenics who could potentially make a 'more than likely' statement for VA with full medical rationale that there is no other known etiology for your cancer but for Agent Orange exposure.

The BVA web site has many Larynx cancer claims and those claims could help you too to see what VA grants as AO and why they deny some of these claims.

Rocky, I am currently in remission from cancer of the throat whitch involved my larynx.

I'm currently rated at 30% for hoarness ! You do have a good A/O claim!

If you get radation be sure and file for hyprothyriodism also.

I was in treatment for over a year before i found out I was eligable to file . My initial claim took nine months. I have filed for the residules . Started that claim in june 05 ! The delay is my on dumb fault for not under standing the system and a vso that was just as dumb ! Do the research. Become the most knowlegable person about your claim . No one is going to care more about your claim than you .

Here is some title 38 codes that i felt related to my case:

6516 Laryngitis, chronic: Hoarseness, with thickening or nodules of cords, polyps, 30 submucous infiltration, or pre-malignant changes on biopsy Hoarseness, with inflammation of cords or mucous membrane.. 10

6520 Larynx, stenosis of, including residuals of laryngeal trauma (unilateral or bilateral): Forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV-1) less than 40 100 percent of predicted value, with Flow-Volume Loop compatible with upper airway obstruction, or; permanent tracheostomy.............................................. FEV-1 of 40- to 55-percent predicted, with Flow-Volume Loop 60 compatible with upper airway obstruction.................. FEV-1 of 56- to 70-percent predicted, with Flow-Volume Loop 30 compatible with upper airway obstruction.................. FEV-1 of 71- to 80-percent predicted, with Flow-Volume Loop 10 compatible with upper airway obstruction.................. Note: Or evaluate as aphonia (DC 6519

6521 Pharynx, injuries to: Stricture or obstruction of pharynx or nasopharynx, or; 50 absence of soft palate secondary to trauma, chemical burn, or granulomatous disease, or; paralysis of soft palate with swallowing difficulty (nasal regurgitation) and speech impairment.........................................

7203 Esophagus, stricture of: Permitting passage of liquids only, with marked impairment of 80 general health............................................... Severe, permitting liquids only............................... 50 Moderate...................................................... 30

7903 Hypothyroidism Cold intolerance, muscular weakness, cardiovascular 100 involvement, mental disturbance (dementia, slowing of thought, depression), bradycardia (less than 60 beats per minute), and sleepiness...................................... Muscular weakness, mental disturbance, and weight gain........ 60 Fatigability, constipation, and mental sluggishness........... 30 Fatigability, or; continuous medication required for control.. 10

7346 Hernia hiatal: Symptoms of pain, vomiting, material weight loss and 60 hematemesis or melena with moderate anemia; or other symptom combinations productive of severe impairment of health....... Persistently recurrent epigastric distress with dysphagia, 30 pyrosis, and regurgitation, accompanied by substernal or arm or shoulder pain, productive of considerable impairment of health....................................................... With two or more of the symptoms for the 30 percent evaluation 10 of less severity.............................................

Each case is very different so don't let these scare you. Just follow your medical records closely.

I'm afraid that if you currently have a claim in for something else it can be delayed !

I'm sure i forgot something and i know you still have lots of questions that i'll try to help you answer.The people on this board are very knowledgeable about the claims system , so mkeep asking.

I hope this helps.

I'm told that I should have my new rating by mid nov.

Ronn