VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Squamous Cell Carcinoma Of The Larynx

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

I had biopsies done last Thurs at the VAMC in Iowa City. The vocal chords was negative but what they call the false vocal chord in the fold was Squamous-Cell Carcinoma of the Larynx.

They are going to call me tomorrow for arrangements for me to get there and get a CT scan to determine the size and whether it has spread to my lymph node glands or lungs.

The question I have is whether or not this falls in to the Presumptive AO conditions.

I see where they have one that is "Respiratory Cancers (cancer of the lung, bronchus, larynx, or trachea)" and also "Soft Tissue Sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's Sarcoma, or mesothelioma)."

Does the cancer I have fit in the Respiratory Cancer or Soft Tissue Sarcoma?

Is the type of cancer I have presumptive condition for AO claim?

After the CT scan they will know more about what type of treatment I will need. I plan to get a copy of the diagnosis and submit a claim but my claims have taken so long to get to the rating board where they are currently pending. If I do submit the AO claim under presumptive, will it delay my claims that have been pending for almost three years and with the rater as I was told yesterday?

The diagnosis from the VA in Iowa City is all I should need to file claim for it right?

Where do I find this type cancer diagnostic codes in the 38CFR4 that will show the rating percentage for it?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hi again -since you asked, I will try to explain - I am no expert and won't go into alot of details. I just reply by my experience - I had vocal cord squamous cell cancer - I was diagnosed in late Dec 05 - I had no idea about filing a claim. By early Jan, I just was surfing the web and found info on presumptive AO conditions. I saw respiratory cancer with larynx listed so I decided to go ahead and file - found the e-file Vonapp and just did it mid Jan. No help just my decision. If I had known better, would have filed immediately in Dec and got anonther month in, but it was okay - anyway just lucky to find info.

Claim was awarded 100% Aug 07 - I got retro pay from Jan thru JuJy quickly - one thing I would advise, if you have dependents make sure to file forms for them to be included - it took along time to get the additional for my dependent daughter whom attends university full time.

I had radiation treatments - 36 in all - late Jan thru early March - 5 days a week - the initial fitting of a mask was a bummer - after that its just short and quick radiation of neck every weekday. Hope you have nice technicians like I did - they were always friendly and understanding.

Thats about all I can tell you - I just want you to know that I am okay now (hopefully). But there are residuals - I have some hoarseness and dysphagia - those are now rated 10% each - hated to lose the 100% but hope no more cancer - overall, received 100% for a year and half.

BTW as far as I know your cancer is in larynx so thats the slam-dunk ha ha. Take care and good luck to you.

Hey Berta!

We must be connected at the HIP. I downloaded the very same BVA case last night. I was up practically all night researching everything I could on Squamous-Cell Carcinoma and VA entitlements.

Here's what I found out.

1) All Larynx cancer is Squamous-Cell Carcinoma and is not considered "Soft Tissue Sarcoma" Both Basal Cell and Squamous-Cell Carcinomas do not fall in the Soft Tissue Sarcoma categories as other skin cancers do such as melanoma.

2. The 38CFR3.307 list the presumtive conditions for AO. Larynx Cancer which is non other than Squamous-Cell Carcinoma in the larynx in lieu of the out skin, head, face, or neck. Therefore under presumtive diseases, larynx cancer is listed in () under Presumtive Respiratory Conditions.

3. The leading causes (highest incidence) of the SC Carcinoma is due to being over 55 yrs old, male, smoker, alcohol, sun exposure, UV exposer, and exposure to herbicides, nickel, and asbestos.

4. I doubt very seriously the VAMC would make a statement as to the exact cause. But I do feel the Onocologist will make a statement that it is "At least as likely as not" the the Carcinoma is due to military exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam. I also spent two 6 month tours aboard old Navy Ships of the Gator Fleet back in 1966 and 1967, namely very old AKAs and APAs. So there is also a chance I could have gotten it from asbestos exposure as well as AO, or smoking, being over 55, I do not drink alcohol at all, and my throat close to my voice box definitely has not been in a tanning bed or exposed to UV rays. To me, I should win my presumptive claim in the least under the "reasonable doubt rule", meaning "As likely as not contracted the SC Carcinoma from AO.

5. From what I understand with VA and cancer is they award you 100% for a couple years and then reduce the amount of compensation after remission and treatment for the cancer to just the residuals......normally 10% as the BVA decision shows, or if one of the residuals is hoarsness, then 30%. But from what I gather as long as you have cancer of the larynx and it is being treated and you still have it, you still get 100% until it goes into remission... Am I correct about that?

Ronn, Thanks for all the good info buddy. I really would love to be in remission myself and I really don't know what's ahead of me at this stage of the game since I just found out yesterday that I had larynx cancer. The VA is supposed to contact me the doctor said and give me and appointment and set everything up for CT and PET scans so they can provide a plan of treatment based on the density, size, and whether it has spread to other parts of my body.

What I saw in my throat was just a small spot, that was a lot lighter color on my vocal fold. It was smooth just like the rest of the flesh in the back of my throat, just a small circle smaller than a dime that was a whitish yellow in color. That's the spot that had the Squamous-Cell Carcinoma. I am hoping they can just freeze it off and that it is just at the top of the outer skin and hasn't traveled.

Wish me luck all and pray for me please too!

Thanks everybody.

Oh Berta...PS: Since I've been told that the VARO has made decision on my claims currently at the rating board on 19 July 2007, but was then given to a second rater on 24 August, 2007 for second opinion.....will the VA rescend their decision and put my claims and folder back in the develpment stage because of larynx cancer claim. The second rater has had my claim for a second opinion for almost 60 days and is close I feel to finishing up my claims that have been pending for almost 3 years.

Rocky- thank you!!!!!

I too was thinking about this a lot since the last post- it bothered my that the widow who MOPH told her DIC claim due to death of vet with AO lung cancer was 'in the bag' but the widow lost because it was not a STS-

I am beginning to realise through your info here that STS is not the criteria for other presumptive cancers-!

I have never found anything definitive on that until you posted all this-

I was going to ask Ronn how he fit into the AO regs but now I understand it-

This is GREAT news-

we dont see many Larynx claims here but one never knows when an AO exposed vet could come up with this diagnosis.

Knowledge-as Hadit says- is truly POWER!