VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Voc Rehab But.......

Rate this question

Mr Davis

Question

Ok I have been approved for Voc Rehab, I'm trying to study animation at a private institution (Savannah College of Art and Design). My counselor has pass my case to an outside contractor, who has harped on the fact that I must chose a public institution for quite some time. I have a vet friend who used voc rehab to pay for her graphic design degree in a private school. I typed up this 20 page report on the market and jobs and people I've spoken to in the industry. From that I got this mail.

"I received word from Mr. Ahonen, your VA counselor, that you have been approved to attend Georgia State University to obtain a bachelor of fine arts in Studio with a concentration in Graphic Design. Their application deadline is November 1. You may go ahead and apply, keeping your receipt for reimbursement from the VA. Please have Thomas Nelson Community College send official transcripts to GSU (you may also want an official copy sent to you as well, keeping the envelope sealed). Please schedule yourself to take the Compass (the entrance exam) at GSU. Once your transcripts have been received at GSU, please contact them frequently to ensure your transcript review has taken place. In order for me to develop a Plan of Services for you to attend school, I will need the following documentation:

Once this documentation is received, I will develop a Plan of Services and fax it to you for your signature. I will then take it to the VA for signatures and a 1905 document will be sent to GSU advising them that the VA will cover your tuition.

I look forward to receiving the aforementioned information from you and assisting you in pursuit of your education. "

I wrote an email to my main VA counselor and this is what was said:

"Mr. Davis,

In my research for employment in the field of animation I found that there is not a large need for animators in Atlanta and therefore we can not support a vocational goal that there is extremely limited or no employment potential. We consider the vocational goal more of a avocation (hobby). The next closest marketable field is graphic design."

I've found hundreds of jobs all over the world I'd be willing to take but I don't have the skills to take them. How do I get the message across that there is a huge market for this and who do I talk to if I feel that they are making a wrong descision? I've been left in the dark as to why they keep pressing the Graphic Design thing on me when thats not what I want to do.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Out of curiosity, I simply have questions. Did the VA counselor approve or need to approve the specific field of study? Is there a written contract from wither the VA or the contract counselor that states a vet must attend a "public institution"? And what are the specifics about graphic artist veteran who attended the private college? It could be that other factors were involved, like availablity of study program in the area or state or someting along that line.Sounds like you did your homework and created a worthy report. Sounds like VA contracted most of vocab rehab counseling out, but still micromanages. Oh well, maybe VA doesnt recognize art (animation) in contrast to graphic art as viable career choice.Too bad, just follow through,dont give up.cg

• HadIt.com Elder

You can appeal the decision if you want to do that. Another thing to consider is to do what they ask and just take elective courses that help you with you goals.

The school you pick has to be fully VA approved and maybe the school the other vet went to was VA approved.

Also in order to concentrate on one field- most degress have to cover many core subjects-

what I mean is I am student for General Studies with a Concentration of Military Studies.

Your Bachelor's degree would need to have a focus of studies or be generalized with Graphics as the concentrate-

as I understand what the VA is saying in that letter.

I just checked out Savanna's home page and it DOES look like they are fully VA approved:

http://www.scad.edu/admission/financial/fi...06/glossary.cfm

If I were you I would go to their curriculum and then find the exact degree plan that you want to fit in the Graphic Arts Focus that would cover animation.

Send a copy of the Degree plan to the Voc Rehab counselor with a NOD on the letter they sent to you.

Edited by Berta

Send them proof that there IS a job market for what you want to do. Copies of job postings, etc.

I don't really have a clue what it is you want to do (my understanding of techno skills is lacking) but I can tell you several years ago we were in Plano Texas and the local paper did an article on the kids (under 30 crowd) that were making video games and the animators were making money hand over foot. If you are planning to do anything in gaming, just cite the stats on how popular gaming is and give them some basic industry information as well.

I'm guessing here, but it could be whoever looked at the job market for the skill set you want to acquire didn't know enough about it and how you wanted to apply it to make a qualifed, accurate decision.

Good luck and let us know how the situation resolves.

TS