VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Lost My File!

Rate this question

JENNABEAN

Question

Hi! I just found this forum today and I have been reading the posts for the last few hours but I haven't found a situation quite like mine. I am completley dumbfounded at what the VA is doing to me. I was medically discharged from the Air Force on Jan 16, 2007. I filed my claim before my date of seperation, and it has been on file with the VA since 17 Jan 07. I started calling the VA once a month after I filed my claim and was continuously told my claim would be completed in 6-9 months. Once the 5 month mark hit and I was told my claim had not been STARTED yet, I began losing my patience. I called at least once a week to check on the status and was told something different each time.

About 6 weeks ago, I got my congressman involved, and when I contact his office all I am told is "we've put in an inquiry." Well, that's nice...but it doesn't let me know anything. So today I called the 800 number AGAIN, and I was talking to a woman who had been working in the Nashville office for the last 30 years. She had the nastiest attitude, but she knew her stuff. It turns out my file has not been seen since JANUARY 29th. No one has the file...no one is working on the file...no one knows where the heck the file is! And I have been calling at least once a month for the first 5 months, then once a week after that...and now several times a week...and no one noticed this before today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started crying my eyes out because I have NO money, and I cannot work. My husband works for the state and he is working a second job at Ruby Tuesdays so we can TRY to make ends meet.

Anyway, I asked the lady what the heck I am supposed to do since no one knows anything about my file....she said that I need to come in to the office and ask them if they can REFILE!! I just don't get it. I NEED that money...I CAN'T work. I have a loose screw in my spine that is eroding away the bones..and depression, and fibromyalgia, and some female stuff on top of that. I have two sons (ages 3 and 4), and I can't even pick the little one up...I can't go out shopping without my walker...I am only 25! Anyway, I am overtired and frustrated and depressed, and I am wondering if I am going to have to wait the 6-9 months all over again when I refile? What can I do about the fact that they lost my file in JANUARY and didn't bother to tell me or ask me to refile.....is there legal action that I can take? Please help me.

Jenna

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am sorry to hear about your situation and I'm sure the Elders of this forum will be able to assist you.

Just a note about information received via the 800 number-- I once called three times in one day just to see if the information provided was consistent. I received three completely different answers (or non-answer from one of the calls)!

• HadIt.com Elder

Monday Morning as early as you can call 800 827 1000 and ask for an inquiry as to where your file is. You might also send in an IRIS Request to cover all the bases. One of the idiots at the VARO has misplaced your C File. If you don't live to far from the VARO you might consider a trip to find out what is going on.

Not knowing where your file is since Jan 29th is unacceptable. I would also call your VSO that is at the VARO and light a fire under them also.

Good Luck

When you call the 800# Monday- ask them what the COVERS screen says as to the whereabouts of your c file.

Or send them an inquiry via Iris -go to the VA web site and under "COntact US" they will take you step by step on the inquiry form.

Put ATtention Director ----VARO on the inquiry

I think asking Congressmen/women to help at this point is a waste of time- the claim mignt be sitting on the Congressional liason VA person's desk.

If you tell me what VARO this is -I might have the VSMs or the director's phone and fax number and will post this info here.

I suggest you obtain a vet org service rep who has offices in our near this VARO.

The claim could be in process but the 800 people are not reading the correct PC screen.

My husbands claim file was sent to Maine.... some big mix up, RO said the claim was closed & file was in Maine. We never lived anywhere near Maine (3000 miles away) never saw a Dr in Maine, no reason for it to be sent there.

It had been there for months & we would not have even know if I didn't make him call to check on status of his claim.

We sent letter right away, got a generic reply "sorry for the delay we are working on your claim..etc"

They did get the file back & re-open the claim (if it was ever truely close or just transfer?) But We never did get any explantion for the additional delay & who knows how may service records were lost along the way - there sure are a lot missing!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have proof that you filed the claim? You need to send everything certified mail/return receipt or get hand stamped copies from the VA. If you can prove you filed your claim you can insist on that date being the date you filed and not some future date. I would just insist that they turn over every stone to find my claim application. Like Pete says, the VA has misplaced your file. This happens all the time. It should be on their computer when you call the 800 number that they got your claim.

Thank you for your replies! Yes, I do have copies of my claim that I filed, and, the VA told me that they recieved my claim on January 17, and it was sent to "claims processing" on January 29th, and nothing has been done on it since then. I did a formal inquiry, and the result of that inqury (2 actually) and they said ... and I quote "file is on search." I was told by 2 different reps that it means they lost my file.

The trouble is that when I got discharged, I went to Georgia to stay with my mom and dad (as I was a single mother to a 2 and 3 year old) for a while until I figured out what I was going to do. So I filed in Georgia, and my file was sent to the Atlanta RO. Then about 3 weeks after I got down there, I decided to move to Tennessee. I called the VA in Feb and told them that I moved to TN, but they said my file would stay in Atlanta. I get the letters saying they are working on my file, but never got a request for information, or a doctors appointment or anything. So according to the people at the RO in Nashville, the file was in Atlanta, and no one in Atlanta knows where it is.....even though I call ALL THE TIME!!!! Why are they not working on my file if I am always calling? Why hasn't anyone noticed until 9 months later that my file has not been seen since I sent it there???

What happens when I refile? I didn't even notify them when I got married in June because I figured that would hold up the process if I did a name change on them. Will I have to wait the 6-9 months again? What do I do as far as my finances during that extra time? My savings has been depleted over the past 10 months and there is no end in sight with these people. Is there some sort of financial help for vets in this situation? How do I make sure they are working on the claim this time when I file? I called all the time with the first claim, and it didn't make anyone work on it....I am so confused!