VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trazadone

Rate this topic

I suffer from depression and that's the cause of my insomnia. Can someone explain to me why the VA would prescibe trazadone for sleep to people suffering PTSD? Don't people with PTSD suffer nightmares?

Rebos, have you been told that trazadone can cause nightmares? Could taking trazadone increase the symptoms of PTSD?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Trazodone is another cheap gimmick that the VA uses to save money. I also have sleep issues and the VA used to prescribe it to me. To be honest nothing works for me as good as a plain old benadryl. For some reason it is like getting hit with a sledge hammer no offense to our Sledge who posted here.

Funny but my best sleep has occurred when I got used to my CPAP breathing machine.

Thanks everyone, for your input. I sure hope others will continue to share their experience with Trazadone and/or Ambien, especially when related to depression/PTSD.

I'm on this combination for sleep due to Dysthymia (long term depression) Also have many PTSD symptoms, related to casualities/injuries dealt with while on active duty 1969-1985 in the medical field. Take a whole poop load of other medications also, antidepressants, cardiac, ulcer etc.

Yes, I know nightmares could be a side effect of the Traz. I've been on it since 1995 specifically because of the nightmares.....and although I still have

"the mares", I no longer move the king-sized mattress 3 feet off the box springs and no longer shred the sheets in my sleep. That's a definate plus in my book.

Pete53: glad benadryl works for you. It has the opposite effect on me.

Otey2171, Sledge: Traz may cause nightmares. Traz is one of the drugs that might help people with depression/insomnia and PTSD. Not everyone has the same response or side effects. It's pretty much trial and error until you find a combination that works for you.

danang: know it's rough for you with both COPD and PTSD. My SO has asbestosis, 35% of his lungs left....ends up in ICU for minor colds, has been in full cardiac arrest three times, Med's up the ying-yang along with the breathing machines, O2 etc. My prayers to ya.

John9999: not a chance in the very hot place I'd even consider coming off the Traz. Haven't tried Lunesta.

Sleepless in Moreno Valley: It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask your MD

if Ambien could be added. The worst would be a NO. The best would be it would be added and you might get a better quality of sleep, even if not

a longer sleep time. Not trying to prescribe meds here, just a suggestion.

Thanks to all for their service to this country and for sharing here on this board.

Sleepless in NE Wisconsin, AKA Linda

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have to drive early in the morning after a nightime dose of ambien be very careful. This stuff can really affect you reflexes and memory. It stays in your system for at least 8-10 hours even if you only sleep 3 hours. I notice when I take it that my feet seem to get tangled up the next day.

If you have to drive early in the morning after a nightime dose of ambien be very careful. This stuff can really affect you reflexes and memory. It stays in your system for at least 8-10 hours even if you only sleep 3 hours. I notice when I take it that my feet seem to get tangled up the next day.

Yes, I've heard that....but, for whatever reason, I don't seem to have the "normal" reactions/after-effects from any of the OTC/prescription medications. I drove 40' city transit buses for seven years with no problems from the Traz/Ambien combination. That why it's so hard to find a combination of stuff that will work with the dysthymia/PTSD.

You have alot of great information, thanks for sharing. Linda

I concur with Pete, it's another way to save money for the VA. I have been on 300 MG on and off for about 5 years now. Sometimes I sleep but most of the time to make it work, I have to have a couple of belts of alcohol too or I toss & turn for hours. Doesn't do any good to talk to the docs because they consider me a borderline type & an alcoholic. Get nightmares too. Va reaction....too bad, so sad.

Liz