VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd Question?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

I have been awarded disability from SSA, hooray. Now, it states that I am insured (approved) through Sept. 2010, this means a "possibility" under SSA terms that I could get better. I have a permanent illness, Chiari Malformation ,had brain surgery and have permanent loss of use on the entire left side of my body, because of permanent brain stem damage. All of this was noted in the doctors medical notes and surgical notes I sent them.

My question is now that they gave me disability and it shows that my file will be reviewed in "no less than 3 years", should I call and question it, because what I have is permanent with no possibility for recovery?

Also what should I expect when they ask for an update/review on my file? I want to make sure I am prepared in advance.

Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It is routine for SS to review in about 3 yrs, even if you are permanent. Depending on your disability they generally just send you a form to fill out. In your case you'll probably be continued and then they review every 7 yrs. Then again they may just review your case files and continue w/o the form, and notify you of that. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I was awarded SSD in 1991. I had a complete review in 1996 and a few years ago I had to answer a form with 5 questions mostly asking if I had gotten better. I think that SSD does review at first but like Phillip said it gets farther and farther apart.

What was really weird is the SSD wanted to send me to the first shrink that the VA used for my first C&P an incompetent boob and I refused and gave them my VA records and that was ok with them.

So what you are looking at is routine and considering your diagnosis should be no problem for you.

I was approved for SSDI and was not given an end date. I do know that they will review your case every few years and as long as your still not working and can prove your still ill then really that is all they do. My mother has been on SSDI for 30 years and was just told that she will not have anymore exams. My mom has tried to work, because she is a teacher but although she enjoyed the money physically it was to demanding for her condition. Don't allow the date to scare you just try to relax for now as the extra money coming in will make a big difference.