VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do You Think I Might Qualify For Ssd?

Rate this question

jenkins

Question

I'm 58 yrs old - a SC Disabled Viet Nam Vet, I draw $2699 per month from my VA benefit --- finally 100% rated as of June 2007 --- a lot of credit goes to this forum for answering many questions along the way, and giving very helpful direction -

I am medically retired from the PO as of 1985 (11 years with the PO) and have not shown an income since that time - I draw about $700 per month from my PO medical retirement and have not been able to work at even small jobs over the years, because if I had shown income over $600 per year I would have lost my health insurance thru the PO - and with 2 open heart surgeries and aneurysm/aorta surgery plus kidney stints and many angioplasties, anyway you get the picture....not having my APWU insurance or even taking a chance of losing it by accident, was never an option - we have lived on my wife's income, she was self employed and has paid into SS for many years - she is not working at this time -

My annual SS statement shows that I have 30 credits at this time - it also goes on to state that I can earn "credits" up to four each year - 1 credit for each $1000 of wages or self-employment income - unfortunately, this is not an option that I have

I went to the SS office today and was told that we made too much money to qualify for any benefits - but then I read and hear about other veteran's that are able to draw both VA disability and SSD - I think what they should have told me also was that I didn't have enough credits, but that wasn't even mentioned (and I didn't think about that until I got home - duh!)

I would really appreciate input from anyone that has any insight or advice on this situation -

If you need any more information - please let me know

Thanks,

kscj

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm 58 yrs old - a SC Disabled Viet Nam Vet, I draw $2699 per month from my VA benefit --- finally 100% rated as of June 2007 --- a lot of credit goes to this forum for answering many questions along the way, and giving very helpful direction -

I am medically retired from the PO as of 1985 (11 years with the PO) and have not shown an income since that time - I draw about $700 per month from my PO medical retirement and have not been able to work at even small jobs over the years, because if I had shown income over $600 per year I would have lost my health insurance thru the PO - and with 2 open heart surgeries and aneurysm/aorta surgery plus kidney stints and many angioplasties, anyway you get the picture....not having my APWU insurance or even taking a chance of losing it by accident, was never an option - we have lived on my wife's income, she was self employed and has paid into SS for many years - she is not working at this time -

My annual SS statement shows that I have 30 credits at this time - it also goes on to state that I can earn "credits" up to four each year - 1 credit for each $1000 of wages or self-employment income - unfortunately, this is not an option that I have

I went to the SS office today and was told that we made too much money to qualify for any benefits - but then I read and hear about other veteran's that are able to draw both VA disability and SSD - I think what they should have told me also was that I didn't have enough credits, but that wasn't even mentioned (and I didn't think about that until I got home - duh!)

I would really appreciate input from anyone that has any insight or advice on this situation -

If you need any more information - please let me know

Thanks,

kscj

You may make too much money for SSI, but not your Social Security Disability.

You may wish to have them review your credits.

The Social Security pulled this one on me in 1983- Not enough credits.

In 2001, the Social Security located the missing credit and Now I can back up and file, but almost impossible to do.

You do receive more credits for service time. Do make sure they are counting those extra credits.

File, as you have nothing to loose.

Don't take no for an answer. File anyway. Just say, I am filing.

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

They lied about too much income. I'd file a formal complaint against the person who gave you that info. Income only affects SSI, a welfare type program for those w/a limited work history. I would file for SSDI, ASAP, using the date you were medically retired, from the USPS, as your disability date, especially if you haven't worked or had very limited work since then. Social security requires a claimant to be able to work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. If you can't do that you are disabled. jmo

pr

I wouldn't go as far as saying that social security lied because you aren't qualified for SSI and you might not be qualified for SSDI because of lack of credits but I agree that you should still apply for SSDI.

Steve

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes the least you can do is apply for SSDI asap because the effective date is important for pay! When I applied for SSDI sure I had enough credits overall, but my clincher, I didnt have enough CURRENT credits within the last 10 years; Need 20. Am trying to make that happen before disabilities disable me to total exhaustion or hospitalization. For most SSDI is a probability and questions to SS office are free, even easy if one has hands free speaker phone for "next in line Muzak hold time".best to ya,cg

I wouldn't go as far as saying that social security lied because you aren't qualified for SSI and you might not be qualified for SSDI because of lack of credits but I agree that you should still apply for SSDI.

Steve