VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do You Think I Might Qualify For Ssd?

Rate this question

jenkins

Question

I'm 58 yrs old - a SC Disabled Viet Nam Vet, I draw $2699 per month from my VA benefit --- finally 100% rated as of June 2007 --- a lot of credit goes to this forum for answering many questions along the way, and giving very helpful direction -

I am medically retired from the PO as of 1985 (11 years with the PO) and have not shown an income since that time - I draw about $700 per month from my PO medical retirement and have not been able to work at even small jobs over the years, because if I had shown income over $600 per year I would have lost my health insurance thru the PO - and with 2 open heart surgeries and aneurysm/aorta surgery plus kidney stints and many angioplasties, anyway you get the picture....not having my APWU insurance or even taking a chance of losing it by accident, was never an option - we have lived on my wife's income, she was self employed and has paid into SS for many years - she is not working at this time -

My annual SS statement shows that I have 30 credits at this time - it also goes on to state that I can earn "credits" up to four each year - 1 credit for each $1000 of wages or self-employment income - unfortunately, this is not an option that I have

I went to the SS office today and was told that we made too much money to qualify for any benefits - but then I read and hear about other veteran's that are able to draw both VA disability and SSD - I think what they should have told me also was that I didn't have enough credits, but that wasn't even mentioned (and I didn't think about that until I got home - duh!)

I would really appreciate input from anyone that has any insight or advice on this situation -

If you need any more information - please let me know

Thanks,

kscj

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

cg - how are you trying to make 20 credits "happen"? aren't things pretty black and white with SS? I just I'm just starting to feel intimidated, and I hate that! When I went to the SS office - they were so resolute/firm in the information that they gave me - at this point , I didn't know how to deal with that - dealing with the VA was totally different - there was never a question of whether or not I deserved compensation (as I'm sure everyone here on hadit.com can testify to) - but with SS it seems to be a whole different ballgame

Josephine - I am definitely going to get that review on my credits - at this point every thing counts!

I searched and found this blog http://www.ssdanswers.com/ on SS - so far I have just been reading and trying to summarize some useful information (there is sooooo much!) - some of the 'rules and regulations' seem so out of whack for real life situations....

Thanks to all for the encouragement - I just got thru with 3 years or so of "dealing" with the VA and now SS?! I'll probably be hanging out her pretty often:)

jenkins

If you worked and paid into the system then you deserve SS at retirement age. If you worked and paid into the system and have 20 credits in the last 10 years then you deserve to receive SSDI if you become disabled. So it is kind of black and white. They are not like VA for they are held accountable for their actions, therefore they simply follow the laws that govern the system. Don't feel intimidate just make sure you meet the requirements and file your claim. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Ricky, SS doesn't follow the rules/laws. If they did they wouldn't deny 60-70% of claims on initial application. A claimant needs 20 credits within the preceeding 10 yrs, prior to the date they became disabled, not the date of application. Many claimants don't know about SSDI and therefore don't apply for a few years after becoming disabled. When they do apply they are denied and told they don't meet the 20 credit requirement and then they abandon their claim. It is important for claimants to use the earliest disability onset date possible and then appeal, appeal, appeal. Also, a claim for SSI is a claim for SSDI unless the SS claims rep talks the claimant into dropping either, which they do. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Phillip, you are correct. The first step is an evidence review done by State Employees at the DDS level.

Usually some should be retired md. These folks are the ones that hurts the system.

Dont ever assume you will get SSD.

60 percent are denied on initial claim.

40 percent of those win at the ALJ stage.

I did. Even though it took 2 1/2 years.

It pays to have all of the information needed along with medical opinions from your own doctors or an IME.

I did not see a SSA MD. My IME doctor was the one who won it for me.

Go ahead and file. Do it on line. Get all the records and get an Attorney after the first denial. The Attorney knows Doctors to send you to. It was the best 500 bucks I ever spent.

JBasser

• HadIt.com Elder

am workin partime to get rest of 20 credits to earn SSDI award. Aint makin lots of money, trying hard to keep at it before legs back and brain give way. Family needs my support while I am kickin. Kids in school. cg p.s. called SS office other day, asked about credits. they could only confirmwhat I had last year. Doin what I can to keep it together.best to ya.cg

cg - how are you trying to make 20 credits "happen"? aren't things pretty black and white with SS? I just I'm just starting to feel intimidated, and I hate that! When I went to the SS office - they were so resolute/firm in the information that they gave me - at this point , I didn't know how to deal with that - dealing with the VA was totally different - there was never a question of whether or not I deserved compensation (as I'm sure everyone here on hadit.com can testify to) - but with SS it seems to be a whole different ballgame

Josephine - I am definitely going to get that review on my credits - at this point every thing counts!

I searched and found this blog http://www.ssdanswers.com/ on SS - so far I have just been reading and trying to summarize some useful information (there is sooooo much!) - some of the 'rules and regulations' seem so out of whack for real life situations....

Thanks to all for the encouragement - I just got thru with 3 years or so of "dealing" with the VA and now SS?! I'll probably be hanging out her pretty often:)

jenkins

Come on Phillip. Since the actual operations of our country are run by communists such as David Chu, Dole and Shalala girl they say we old, drang the army down worthless vets can only bash one government system at a time. Lets focus our efforts on the VA hahahahahahaha.

On a serious note just because a claim is turned down does not mean they did not follow the law. It is an all or nothing system with strigent disability requirements. It simply means that the person reviewing the claim did not feel that you met those disability requirements.

Just so I will know does not the law indicate 20 credits in the 10 years prior to becoming disabled?

Ricky