VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do You Think I Might Qualify For Ssd?

Rate this question

jenkins

Question

I'm 58 yrs old - a SC Disabled Viet Nam Vet, I draw $2699 per month from my VA benefit --- finally 100% rated as of June 2007 --- a lot of credit goes to this forum for answering many questions along the way, and giving very helpful direction -

I am medically retired from the PO as of 1985 (11 years with the PO) and have not shown an income since that time - I draw about $700 per month from my PO medical retirement and have not been able to work at even small jobs over the years, because if I had shown income over $600 per year I would have lost my health insurance thru the PO - and with 2 open heart surgeries and aneurysm/aorta surgery plus kidney stints and many angioplasties, anyway you get the picture....not having my APWU insurance or even taking a chance of losing it by accident, was never an option - we have lived on my wife's income, she was self employed and has paid into SS for many years - she is not working at this time -

My annual SS statement shows that I have 30 credits at this time - it also goes on to state that I can earn "credits" up to four each year - 1 credit for each $1000 of wages or self-employment income - unfortunately, this is not an option that I have

I went to the SS office today and was told that we made too much money to qualify for any benefits - but then I read and hear about other veteran's that are able to draw both VA disability and SSD - I think what they should have told me also was that I didn't have enough credits, but that wasn't even mentioned (and I didn't think about that until I got home - duh!)

I would really appreciate input from anyone that has any insight or advice on this situation -

If you need any more information - please let me know

Thanks,

kscj

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

20 credits in the last 5 years or 40 credits in the last 10 years.

Dont forget about the Veteran credit. It is based on the number of years served and has different criteria

depending which years a veteran served.

• HadIt.com Elder

Goodluck, found this basic chart, it may help, but there are many many more details to SSDI, so best to check or call Social Security Office or check in search here at HADIT as well.Like mentioned, dont forget to check if eligible for the Veteran credit, cg

If an individual became disabled after they turned 31, they need the number of work credits shown in the table below. And unless they are blind, they need to have earned at least 20 of those credits in the 10 years prior to becoming disabled.

Work Credits Required for SSDI Eligibility for those Born After 1929

Became Disabled At Age:Number of Credits Needed

31 through 42,20 44,22 46,24 48,26 50,28 52,30 54,32 56,34 58,36 60,38 62 or older 40

Edited by cowgirl