VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Auto Allowance

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

What the VA definition of loss of use for the purpose of granting auto allowance and special monthly compensation? I have 40% rating for left knee fusion(no movement) and 10% for left foot complication. I am also scheduled for total right knee replacement. Would my conditions be considered enough for auto allowance and smc?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest rickb054
Also if you have a worsening condition requiring further modification... I think the HISA rolls over again... like I said let me check this is "what I think" and not what I know, but I am CERTAIN that you can use it more than one time, at the FULL benefit amount each time.

Bob I wish we could but we can't . See page 1 under scope: which list the lifetime benefit as $4100 in the handbook HB 1173.14

Handbook_1173.14_Home_improvements__HISA_.pdf

OK, I think... I said THINK, I read that they had changed the lifetime alloowance to a rollover one. I will check and see.. howevere, these devices are NOT charged against the HISA grant so you might want to look at them... if they apply to your case.

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPub...asp?pub_ID=1578

I'll get back to you if I can find the change or if I am wrong... in either case.

Bob

OK I was wrong.. at least I thikn I was.. the HISA (at this time as far as I can find is a ONE time grant)... but... please look at this case and the chapters 15 and down:

http://www.va.gov/ogc/docs/2001/prc06-2001l.doc

The guy was awarded dual, because he was requesting something totally different for Independent living....

They agreed to buid a sceened in back porch... so the guy could (paint, and commune with nature).....

I am fairly vertain that you can work around a bunch of this thru other programs..

Further, I dont know if you qualify for the SAF grant or not, but that can be used multiple times, up to the maximum benefit now....

So while adapatation may have already been provided under medical necessity, that does not preclude benefits under IL or independent living... they just cant be for the same things.

Bob

Guest rickb054
OK I was wrong.. at least I thikn I was.. the HISA (at this time as far as I can find is a ONE time grant)... but... please look at this case and the chapters 15 and down:

http://www.va.gov/ogc/docs/2001/prc06-2001l.doc

The guy was awarded dual, because he was requesting something totally different for Independent living....

They agreed to buid a sceened in back porch... so the guy could (paint, and commune with nature).....

I am fairly vertain that you can work around a bunch of this thru other programs..

Further, I dont know if you qualify for the SAF grant or not, but that can be used multiple times, up to the maximum benefit now....

So while adapatation may have already been provided under medical necessity, that does not preclude benefits under IL or independent living... they just cant be for the same things.

Bob

Yes I read the above case long ago. I have already used the total specially adapted grant at another home as well as the hisa.I was going to have my last home adapted under the Independant living plan, it took the va over a year to approve the plan by that time I paid to do the remodeling myself, I may ask for an ILP in my new home but I am not sure because it takes forever for the va to approve it.