VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Award Letter

Rate this question

kris

Question

Thanks to all you on this board for telling me to file ssdi. I just got my award letter and it does not say on it what I am disabled for. I filed 9 different things. I am 50% sc for major depression and panic attacks and have a claim in for IU to go up on that. I also had back and neck injuries in service and filed a claim on those. My main question is how do I find out what I am disabled for.

Thank you all so much

Kris

You have got to feel proud for helping so many veterans.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris:

Congrats filing for SSD is crucial and is time sensitive. With the delays in VA and just life a person entitled to SSD may see their benefits walk out the door.

I am glad that you won and you will get Medicare after 2 years from effective date.

Thanks to all you on this board for telling me to file ssdi. I just got my award letter and it does not say on it what I am disabled for. I filed 9 different things. I am 50% sc for major depression and panic attacks and have a claim in for IU to go up on that. I also had back and neck injuries in service and filed a claim on those. My main question is how do I find out what I am disabled for.

Thank you all so much

Kris

You have got to feel proud for helping so many veterans.

Congratulation on your award. Did the award letter you received say when your next eval will be? If not, I think you will receive another letter with more particulars. I strongly recommend you request a copy of your SSDI files and make a copy and give provide a copy to VA for further evidence on your IU. The files will list your primary and secondary reasons for approval of SSDI.

Steve

Congratulation on your award. Did the award letter you received say when your next eval will be? If not, I think you will receive another letter with more particulars. I strongly recommend you request a copy of your SSDI files and make a copy and give provide a copy to VA for further evidence on your IU. The files will list your primary and secondary reasons for approval of SSDI.

Steve

hi what does IU stand for? im new to this

IU stands for Individual Unemployability which equals to 100% rating even though your total rating could be 60-90%. According to VA you normally need at least a 60% rating on one disability or 70% overall rating with multible ratings with one being at least 40% in order to be considered for IU.

Steve

This is good news and with the 50% SC already, this award should help with IU- but you will get more info on the award-

Did you make formal TDIU application yet?

Labonte- IU means Individual Unemployablity

TDIU means Total Disability due to Individual unemployablity.

When a veteran's medical evidence revelas that due to their SC disability -they are unable to work- they can receive TDIU-

The VA considers TDIU when they reach a 70 % level of rating-

but it does not matter what rating they have-

if a vet even has no rating at all but has the medical evidence to warrant TDIU ( such as recorfds from a private doctor)they should definitely apply for TDIU.

It pays the 100% comp rate:

$2,471 for single vet

2,610 for vet with a spouse and they add more for children-

this figure goes up a little in January due to the COLA.