VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Can Sue Over Lost Data/stolen Laptop

Rate this question

Guest morgan

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Let me see, 26.5 million veterans divided by what ever the DAV, VFW settle for. Lawyers get approximately 40%, many millions dollars. Each of us may get 10-20 bucks? Lawyers win and probably the DAV and VFW will get there share too. I think it is a waste of time for us. A win win for the others. Abe

Does anyone have the contact info for the attorneys who are handling these class action suits. If so, post it so that members here on hadit will have the info.

My question is how will we know whose ssn's are involved? If there's any money paid the VA will claim they've paid some large amount and there's no way to verify the truth. We all know how the VA operates. For some reason I don't believe the info will be available through the FOIA. We'll have to file a lawsuit to get that info then go through a five year appeal process.

I hope this doesn't happen but these are my thoughts.

BIGPAPA92

One thing that might interest people is they just passed a law recentley where anybody now can place a security freeze on their credit reports. I had my info stolen through Fidelity Investments as well as through the VA. I put a freeze on my credit reports so now nobody can take out credit in my name. It used to be you had to be a victim of identity theft first then they would freeze it if you requested. Now anybody can do it. The disadvantage is you usually have to pay $5 or $10 to unfreeze it if you want credit. But it works great and I love it. We can all be careful but when our info is on so many laptops just being carried around one can be as careful as possible and still get it stolen. I know Fidelity gave us free credit monitoring for a year and then extended it another year but still I like the security freeze so much better.