VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Panic Attack At Usps = First Xanax Prescription

Rate this topic

I've been home awhile now. about 4 this morning something started going wrong.

By 4:55 I was in the local emergency room with my worst ever panic attack. Never had all the symptoms together or this severe.

I calmed down some and decided to drive home. On the way I started into it again. Called my Psych from the driveway and I was skeptical - thought it had to be something physical or if mental, worthy of being admitted.

My wife is now picking up the Xanax he prescribed.

I've never had it before and don't know what to expect.

I really didn't think I was having a mental stress-out or meltdown. Wasn't consciously dwelling on anything (of course there are about a hundred things bearing on me), but I was incapacitated.

The Dr. is sending me a "3-day pass" from work, which probably will do as much as any med to calm me down.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I can em`empathize with as I have had many panic attacks and quite a few trips to ER due to them. Not only do they scare you they freak out everyone around you. Bear this in mind no one dies from a panic attack and they usally pass pretty quickly minutes to maybe 15 to 20.

Xanax is the only med I have ever used that stops a panic attack in its tracks.

One more thing if you attempt to control your breathing by breathing deep and slow that can help

Lastly if you put a xanax under your tongue it works faster. Bitter as hell but it can save your butt

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

If the USPS starts to give you a hard time go check yourself into the VA hospital. That is what I did and that is the date for the beginning of my TDIU.They called the postal inspectors on me and threw me out. I went directly to the VA hospital and checked in. That was the last day I worked for the USPS and they had to also pay me a disability pension.

I was fairly recovered, resting and away from the post office when I got the xanax.

Swallowed one and put another under the tongue as per Doc's orders. The one under the tongue tasted sooo bad. I tried drinking some water and had to fight to keep the little sucker from going down my throat. It did dissolve quicker, though.

I've often wondered what form a meltdown might take. Now I have an answer. Still hard to believe it was psychological and not some severe physical condition.

I'm still resting. Haven't gotten the work excuse I was waiting for yet, so that keeps me a little agitated.

I got a call from the VA this morning. Apparently they have acted on my NOD and want me to be at the Vancouver VA next Fri. morning about my chronic otitis.

That was where I went for the only other C & P for that condition and was met with an openly hostile smart-a**. It was the only denial I've ever had, yet is probably the most well-documented since my hearing, having statements from both VA and HMO Dr.'s.I am already worried about getting the same examiner again.

Thanks for the good replies, John and Pete. I have nobody to discuss these issues with face-to-face, and sometimes it's hard to believe the comfort I get from this site.

Just remember that you are not alone and if you want to talk pm me and I will get back to you.

That goes for me too on the PM. I'm subject to be up all hours of the night, so PM me anytime too. I continue to have those type attacks, several most every week. Alpralosom or Zanax is only thing that had ever helps and it's only temporary. I can't take too much at once though, because of my bad lungs. I wake up almost every night either from a dream or can't hardly breath, even with 2 Liters of oxygen on. It's hard to tell when it is COPD that does it or the panic attack, or both of them is one is going at once. I think it's both. Guys, I pray allot and thank God I have the medication to take or it would be rough. Count me in too on being glad I got you people to talk to.

Danang_1969