VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Panic Attack At Usps = First Xanax Prescription

Rate this topic

Thanks, guys,

I haven't got around to posting again. I spent 3 days mostly on my back, returned for the last day of my work week and experienced a lesser version of most of the same symptoms, but got through.

I checked the letter that the VA sent to backup their call about my C & P. A quick look at my records verified that I would see the same examiner! That bothered me.

When I got in the room, he was fairly quick and to the point. Coincidently, I was exhibiting symptoms of otitis and he said something about "getting me fixed up with some compensation", so I have hopes that I will be getting good news in the mail sometime.

It probably won't change anything except how my percentage is rounded. I assume I'll still be 90% and wouldn't think there would be any back pay due.

My Psych. has transferred to Vancouver, so while I was there I dropped off my FMLA paperwork that the post office mailed to me.

I haven't heard anything about that yet - and everything stresses me!

Been a bit stressed the last couple of days over my HealtheVet. I check it pretty frequently, use it to help in ordering my meds and I like to check my progress notes from the DR.

The last few days I haven't been able to access it. I had this problem once before and e-mailed them. They got right back to me with another password. I e-mailed right away this time, but haven't gotten a reply.

I just finished writing a statement requested by my union steward. I've been dragging my feet as always and she says we're up against a deadline. I have no doubt that the fire drill we had 2 or 3 weeks ago and the friction over it gave me the little extra push into the panic attack.

I carry a pager set on vibrate because I am not alerted by the alarm. They used it sporadically at first then stopped altogether years ago. I stress everytime I don't see another person (so I'll know there is not a fire or drill) and I stressed about the possibility that someone would get in serious trouble over my turning in a statement regarding the pager (possibly leading to retaliation against me, also).

I go back to work in a few hours and will hand my statement over and who knows when I'll hear something back - or what!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can em`empathize with as I have had many panic attacks and quite a few trips to ER due to them. Not only do they scare you they freak out everyone around you. Bear this in mind no one dies from a panic attack and they usally pass pretty quickly minutes to maybe 15 to 20.

Xanax is the only med I have ever used that stops a panic attack in its tracks.

One more thing if you attempt to control your breathing by breathing deep and slow that can help

Lastly if you put a xanax under your tongue it works faster. Bitter as hell but it can save your butt

Good Luck

Agree with u 'Pete53' 100%

This is also my first time with xanax, and under your tongue it works faster. Prescribed Dec 3, 2007 it also took me 2 trips to ER both around 3 and 4 in the morning. Valium was not working that well, guess my system got just it. Before Dec, 2007 I could be resting, sleeping and on lots of medication and still all my Body felt tens - even on my chiropractor therapy specially made stretcher, the same while on physical therapies lot of physical tension.

Lu12

I've been home awhile now. about 4 this morning something started going wrong.

By 4:55 I was in the local emergency room with my worst ever panic attack. Never had all the symptoms together or this severe.

I calmed down some and decided to drive home. On the way I started into it again. Called my Psych from the driveway and I was skeptical - thought it had to be something physical or if mental, worthy of being admitted.

My wife is now picking up the Xanax he prescribed.

I've never had it before and don't know what to expect.

I really didn't think I was having a mental stress-out or meltdown. Wasn't consciously dwelling on anything (of course there are about a hundred things bearing on me), but I was incapacitated.

The Dr. is sending me a "3-day pass" from work, which probably will do as much as any med to calm me down.

Agree with u 'Pete53' 100%

This is also my first time with xanax, and under your tongue it works faster. Prescribed Dec 3, 2007 it also took me 2 trips to ER both around 3 and 4 in the morning. Valium was not working that well, guess my system got just it. Before Dec, 2007 I could be resting, sleeping and on lots of medication and still all my Body felt tens - even on my chiropractor therapy specially made stretcher, the same while on physical therapies lot of physical tension.

take good care 'nlualum82'

Lu12

• HadIt.com Elder

Like I say if the USPS decides to discipline you because of your attacks go check yourself into the VA hospital. I worked at USPS for 20 years, and I knew vets who would check themselves in every time the USPS tried to take action against them. If you are a disabled vet there is almost nothing they can really do unless you attack someone or threaten a supervisor. Just because you have a meltdown is not grounds to be fired. If, however, you make any threats then they can fire you. You can also go to the MSPB if they suspend you or take serious action against you. There are plenty of real lawyers who will represent you before the MSPB.

John