VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssa Reached A Decision!

Rate this question

jmack

Question

Ok everyone, I spoke with the SSA DDS about 2 weeks ago and they said that a decision had been reached. They said that they couldn't tell me over the phone but it would be "mailed out tomorrow, or next week". That was 2 weeks ago and I still have not heard anything. Is this good, bad, or a call back again a see if they will give me an answer. What do you brothers and sisters think? This is driving me up the walls.

jmack

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Jmack,

1st of all CONGRATS on winning the SSDI claim.

I won my SSDI claim in May of 07 and had my 1st monthly check in June and my back the end of JUne. The pay for the kids is split between them. My son's pay is over 1/2 of mine because I have Medicare taken out very month. I decided to get Medicare even though I get all my medical care at the VA. I figured that some day I will not be able to make the 4 hr round trip to Fayetteville to the VA hospital so I will be able to go to a local Dr using medicare and a supplement that I will get when I can no longer make the trip to the VA hosp. As for my kids that took alot longer because I had a child that was over 18 when I won my case and he has worked since he was 16. There is an offset that the children get if they work and receive SSDI off your record. The SSA had to get copies of his W2's for 2 years and had to get proof that he finished high school. Apparently there is some law that takes away some of the child's SSDI if they drop out of school. This whole dog and pony show took until Oct to iron out. They held up my youngest's SSA back pay until they got my alder ones all figured out. You do not have to wait 5 months for your back pay. You have a 5 month wait after you can no longer work before they can pay you any benefits. For me I filed in SEPT. of 04 got approved in May of 06 but the back pay only went back to Feb of 05 because of the 5 month wait period. It is like you forfeit the first 5 months of benefits because the government says you have to. If I can help answer any more questions just ask. DJ 8

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete:

I got approved for SSD!! I have 2 children, are they both entitled to half or is half divided between the 2 of them? Because that is what SS just told us.

Jmack

Jmack:

Congrats they would get 1/2 of your total divided by 2. You will or your spouse will have to take care of the money and report every year on how money is spent. Its pretty simple but you have to fill out the form.

CBS National News aired a disturbing program this evening about long delays in SSD

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/14/...in3712627.shtml