VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Much

Rate this question

MUDMAN

Question

HELLO.i am wanting to know how much ss takes off of your claim i filed in april of 07 and what im trying to find out is does ss take your first 6 months of of your award and then pay you from then on up to what ever your back pay is or is there a 6 months waiting period before they start to pay thanks :mellow:

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

They establish an effective date from the time they consider you disabled and than don't pay for 5 months.

Unlike the VA they can go back farther than the month that you applied.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may find that SSA decided to use a date later than you believe is appropriate.

If this happens, you can question (appeal) the date, and cite appropriate evidence you may have already given them. In my case, they added about $17,000 to the award (retroactive), without much of a battle. This can also increase the normal monthly check, if it causes the original amount to be recalculated, based upon the annual increases. The way this can happen is that you are entitled to an amount related to your SSA contributions. For disability, this amount also is based upon what you would draw if you retired at the "normal" retirement age. Then, the annual increase is added.

They establish an effective date from the time they consider you disabled and than don't pay for 5 months.

Unlike the VA they can go back farther than the month that you applied.