VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Non-service Connected Disability Pension Granted

Rate this topic

csfour1950

Just was notified by the VA of a partial victory. They said, "Entitlement to nonservice-connected pension is granted." And to expect the first check within 15 days.

I was hoping someone might know if the pension is taxable or not? Also should I try for Social Security Benefits (I'm 57 btw), would they offset each other or not?

I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong place.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The pension isn't taxable but it would be offset by any SSA or SSI benefits.

It is non taxable. However, Any money you earn is an offset to it, including social security. NSC Pension is about $10,000 per year, more if you have dependendents. That doesnt mean you get $10,000 from the VA it means you get a total from all sources of $10,000 per year. For example if you have a part time job in which you earned $4000 then you will get $6000. (plus applicable dependents). There are also rules on how much your dependents can earn. I recommend go ahead and get Social Security for several reasons:

1. Your Social Security could be more than your VA pension.

2. If you have service connected conditions, it would revert to that. In other words, say you are at 40% (which is about $600 depending on dependents) Service connected. Right now, they pay you the greater of the 2 benefits, NSC Pension of about $900. However, if you get social Security your VA would go down to the $600 but if you got $1000 in social security your total would be $1600 versus the the $900 for VA pension alone.

3. You will never get less with both VA pension and Social Security (then one of them alone) but you could well get more with both. So there is no risk for you to apply for Social Security.

• HadIt.com Elder

SSD also offers Medicare after 2 years and all medical expenses are deductible so it is not a bad idea to go ahead and apply in my opinion.