VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Combat Vets Can Get $500, No Strings

Rate this question

johnc515

Question

Not sure if this has already been posted

Disabled combat vets can get $500, no strings

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/12/military_woundedmoney_071205w/

By Karen Jowers - Staff writer

Posted : Wednesday Dec 5, 2007 13:20:29 ESTThe Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes, in conjunction with the American Legion, is giving gifts of $500 each to 1,000 disabled veterans who served in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars.The Coalition presented a check for $500,000 to the American Legion, and the entire amount will be awarded to veterans, officials said. The Legion will assume all administrative costs.

There are no strings attached, and the money does not have to be used for any specific purpose, said American Legion spokeswoman Ramona Joyce. There is no “financial need” requirement — the only requirements are that veterans served in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, and have a disability rated at 30 percent or more.

The money will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.

Grants will be available through May, or until the money runs out. “We’d love to go through it before the holidays so they can have extra spending money for presents or maybe for a plane ticket home,” Joyce said.

“These grants are just a small token of appreciation for the sacrifices made by so many of America’s men and women in uniform,” said Thomas Palma, general manager of the Coalition, in an announcement about the gifts. “Our Coalition was able to raise a lot of money from caring people but we do not have the distribution network of the American Legion. The Legion is a well-respected organization with a presence in communities across America.”

The Legion also distributed checks for the Coalition in 2005.

To apply for a grant, veterans should contact their state’s headquarters office. Contact information can be found in the American Legion's state headquarters directory. If further assistance is needed, Joyce said, veterans can call her at (202) 263-2982 or John Raughter at (317) 630-1253.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

come on nam vet...let's don't pit one group of vets against another. I agree, because the Gulf War/Somalia vets tend to be forgotten, also, but let's let these guys get whatever they can get now, because there might not be a VA for them to receive benefits from in the future.

Well,

This subject has initiated another round of BS between us.

Somebody in congress called in a favor to get more controversy going to muddy the waters again.

I don't believe anyone outside the government owes us anything.

If you get a break from a private sector entity, smile all the way to your favorite business and blow it.

If you need a free ride to the store, call me.

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder

I am glad that they will get $ 500 with no strings attached. Hope it helps some kids have a nice Xmas.

Nam Vet --- (Army)

You posted,

"Bbbbbuuut....... what about Vietnam Vets ?!? I was paid $200 a month to get shot at three (3) times a day, everyday. Yep, I was wounded and got the Purple Heart. Don't I qualify for anything? Huuuuu ???? :mellow: "

Would you please quit pissing and moaning all the time -- it's really getting old !

Requirements for the 500 bucks is Iraq & Afgan - plain and simple.

BTW --- I guess you do do qualify for some benefits as you've posted that you do receive benefits.

You have already been advised not to return to your old ways of stirring up crap so just cut it out now

carlie

Rentalguy - just to point out - the VA, prez and congress has already pitted us against them. Now WE should not let their actions work and maybe they will stop the BS they are doing.