VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Combat Vets Can Get $500, No Strings

Rate this question

johnc515

Question

Not sure if this has already been posted

Disabled combat vets can get $500, no strings

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/12/military_woundedmoney_071205w/

By Karen Jowers - Staff writer

Posted : Wednesday Dec 5, 2007 13:20:29 ESTThe Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes, in conjunction with the American Legion, is giving gifts of $500 each to 1,000 disabled veterans who served in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars.The Coalition presented a check for $500,000 to the American Legion, and the entire amount will be awarded to veterans, officials said. The Legion will assume all administrative costs.

There are no strings attached, and the money does not have to be used for any specific purpose, said American Legion spokeswoman Ramona Joyce. There is no “financial need” requirement — the only requirements are that veterans served in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, and have a disability rated at 30 percent or more.

The money will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.

Grants will be available through May, or until the money runs out. “We’d love to go through it before the holidays so they can have extra spending money for presents or maybe for a plane ticket home,” Joyce said.

“These grants are just a small token of appreciation for the sacrifices made by so many of America’s men and women in uniform,” said Thomas Palma, general manager of the Coalition, in an announcement about the gifts. “Our Coalition was able to raise a lot of money from caring people but we do not have the distribution network of the American Legion. The Legion is a well-respected organization with a presence in communities across America.”

The Legion also distributed checks for the Coalition in 2005.

To apply for a grant, veterans should contact their state’s headquarters office. Contact information can be found in the American Legion's state headquarters directory. If further assistance is needed, Joyce said, veterans can call her at (202) 263-2982 or John Raughter at (317) 630-1253.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Rentalguy - just to point out - the VA, prez and congress has already pitted us against them. Now WE should not let their actions work and maybe they will stop the BS they are doing.

I understand that Ricky, but we don't have to make it any worse, do we? I agree with Pete...maybe some kid will have a better Christmas, or maybe some vet can pay their bills a little easier for one month. We are used to living without until we resolve our fight. The young guys are coming home then being thrust into it...any help we can give is surely appreciated by them.

Nam Vet...I understand where you're coming from...pm me to vent if you need to. Hell, I have to vent all the time.

Guest terrysturgis

Got married September 1968 and went to Vietnam September 1969. In the mid 1970's, Michigan passed a $500.00 bonus for Vietnam veterans. My wife took it to our small town bank and the teller said "what a nice gift". As I said we were married before my tour of duty so my spouse is a Vietnam veteran by osmosis (she lost 30 pounds). My wife never cusses but her answer for the teller was "gift my ass".

1968, Carlie and I am on the same page. I come here everyday and monitor the site, I"m not feeling good either. I certainly do not endorse being agitated by each other. We need to work together to win at the VA. Toning it down would be appreciated. Take care. Khe Sanh Army Vet - Terry Sturgis

Ok not to stir up any garbage but here is my question since the topic of Vietnam Vets and Iraq/Afghan vets have come up. Does anyone think that the Vets of today will feel the same as the Vietnam vets with all of the anti-war crap that goes on? In no way do I want to see anyone go to war but will support EACH and EVERY troop out of this country whether or not I agree with the war. In no way do I want to start a political conversation, only how do you think the anti-war movement affects troops.

A different thought.

I'm not opposed to Iraq/Afganistan Vet's getting this. It's a good thing. However, I feel an orginization like the Legion would know that those Iraq/Afganistan Vet's that are awaiting a decision are a group in great need. This is where a grant like this would be most helpfull. According to the article, a Vet has to have a minimum 30% rating. Okay, but what about those that have not been rated yet? To me it seems they are excluded when they need it most.

Time

Guest maddog66

I am a Vietnam Vet (Jun67-Jul68), Desert Shield/Storm Vet (Aug90-Dec91) and OIF/OEF (Sep2001-Aug2006),having been called out of retirement for 5 more years. I honor and appreciate the service of all our Armed Forces from any conflict.

Nam Vet --- (Army)

You posted,

"Bbbbbuuut....... what about Vietnam Vets ?!? I was paid $200 a month to get shot at three (3) times a day, everyday. Yep, I was wounded and got the Purple Heart. Don't I qualify for anything? Huuuuu ???? :P "

Would you please quit pissing and moaning all the time -- it's really getting old !

Requirements for the 500 bucks is Iraq & Afgan - plain and simple.

BTW --- I guess you do do qualify for some benefits as you've posted that you do receive benefits.

You have already been advised not to return to your old ways of stirring up crap so just cut it out now

carlie

Sorry carlie, I have to agree with Nam vet, I have relatives from the RVN war no one give a crap about them and treated them as such, or are you saying the new vet are more holy? I my self served years in Active Service Gulf1 and Somalia where fighting for your life was a daily event, came back from first war with a broke foot that had that felt to be vice with spikes in it pushing on both sides of my foot, not to mention my broke back I received in 91 while on active duty. and Somalia this is where I was sure I would die a violent death. In Vietnam close to 59,000 soldiers died Gulf war 2 close to 3800 total. Where was the VFW, DAV, AFL and others when I came back or was released from service? They're meeting these soldiers right off the plains to file claims then and there, one has to question there motives? Where they get this money to give away, donations and from who, soldiers and disabled ones at that. Yes there are soldiers that need it and need it bad, how about the ones sleeping on the street here at home from every war that are damaged for the rest of there lives where are the VSO rep's now. I know there at the airport trying to secure there future. I went to the DAV here in Indy for help with service connected injuries and he could have cared less period I my self have seen first hand. Let a VA claim show up on TV evening news and there they are running around like there life depended on it. yes I'm bitter I gave my youth and body to the military 8+ years and I get treated like a welfare case for it and have worked harder hurt and ask for nothing. $500 is a joke compared to what they make in all this. This is, "and look at what we do for you" scam. The state I lived in at the time of service WV was giving away $300 to every Gulf War 1 vet from the state. I did not accept it then because of the poor people who needed it more. That $500 should be reserved for soldiers who faced direct combat or extremely disabled, that money will never make them happy anyways. I guess if I think about it, it is a Holy war........RC

Edited by yoggie2