VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disabled Combat Vets Can Get $500, No Strings

Rate this question

johnc515

Question

Not sure if this has already been posted

Disabled combat vets can get $500, no strings

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/12/military_woundedmoney_071205w/

By Karen Jowers - Staff writer

Posted : Wednesday Dec 5, 2007 13:20:29 ESTThe Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes, in conjunction with the American Legion, is giving gifts of $500 each to 1,000 disabled veterans who served in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars.The Coalition presented a check for $500,000 to the American Legion, and the entire amount will be awarded to veterans, officials said. The Legion will assume all administrative costs.

There are no strings attached, and the money does not have to be used for any specific purpose, said American Legion spokeswoman Ramona Joyce. There is no “financial need” requirement — the only requirements are that veterans served in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, and have a disability rated at 30 percent or more.

The money will be given on a first-come, first-served basis.

Grants will be available through May, or until the money runs out. “We’d love to go through it before the holidays so they can have extra spending money for presents or maybe for a plane ticket home,” Joyce said.

“These grants are just a small token of appreciation for the sacrifices made by so many of America’s men and women in uniform,” said Thomas Palma, general manager of the Coalition, in an announcement about the gifts. “Our Coalition was able to raise a lot of money from caring people but we do not have the distribution network of the American Legion. The Legion is a well-respected organization with a presence in communities across America.”

The Legion also distributed checks for the Coalition in 2005.

To apply for a grant, veterans should contact their state’s headquarters office. Contact information can be found in the American Legion's state headquarters directory. If further assistance is needed, Joyce said, veterans can call her at (202) 263-2982 or John Raughter at (317) 630-1253.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

yoggie for you to say carlie was playing the rape card, is very disappointing, it's not playing a card to say you got shot, or hit by a truck it's just the reality of her situation and many others.

army does bitch and moan a lot, sorry army that just the way i see it, and since carlie is a mod and has been with us a long time she has a better understanding the history of posts and where and how and who which she as well as the other moderators use to make decisions and posts, there is much about various members that moderators are privy to. we make our decisons based on what is good for the board as whole, what has worked and what hasn't.

I'm a Vietnam vet and here's my thoughts: Many RVN vets were insulted, called baby killers, spit on etc. Moreover, the american public never gave them a thought after they returned home. Business as usual. I feel bad about how we were treated but really don't have anyone to blame for it except the american public and media/hollywood who influenced them. However, many viet vets are rankled because of the attention the newer vets are receiving. I support the newer vets and my heart goes out to them however, I have NEVER seen a spouse (male or female) who is suffering from PTSD due to combat nor have I seen their legs blown off or any number of violent things subsesquesnt and directly related to war. That being said, I feel the wives/husbands do not equally share the load. The GI is living in far, far less than optimum conditions, getting shot at, living in virtual fear thattoday may be my last." The spouses back home sure, they hold the family, pay the bills (with $$ earned by the combat vet) watch cable TV, all the new movies, shop in the air conditioned malls and some call it equal? I could go on but my intent is not to ire anyone, just to make a comment. Contrary to the T-shirt slogan "An Army Wife Has the Hardest Job", they really don't-it's the poor slob on the front lines eating MRE's and seeing their buddies go home in bags.

I'm a Vietnam vet and here's my thoughts: Many RVN vets were insulted, called baby killers, spit on etc. Moreover, the american public never gave them a thought after they returned home. Business as usual. I feel bad about how we were treated but really don't have anyone to blame for it except the american public and media/hollywood who influenced them. However, many viet vets are rankled because of the attention the newer vets are receiving. I support the newer vets and my heart goes out to them however, I have NEVER seen a spouse (male or female) who is suffering from PTSD due to combat nor have I seen their legs blown off or any number of violent things subsesquesnt and directly related to war. That being said, I feel the wives/husbands do not equally share the load. The GI is living in far, far less than optimum conditions, getting shot at, living in virtual fear thattoday may be my last." The spouses back home sure, they hold the family, pay the bills (with $$ earned by the combat vet) watch cable TV, all the new movies, shop in the air conditioned malls and some call it equal? I could go on but my intent is not to ire anyone, just to make a comment. Contrary to the T-shirt slogan "An Army Wife Has the Hardest Job", they really don't-it's the poor slob on the front lines eating MRE's and seeing their buddies go home in bags. So, I'm in favor of supporting the veterans.

yoggie for you to say carlie was playing the rape card, is very disappointing, it's not playing a card to say you got shot, or hit by a truck it's just the reality of her situation and many others.

army does bitch and moan a lot, sorry army that just the way i see it, and since carlie is a mod and has been with us a long time she has a better understanding the history of posts and where and how and who which she as well as the other moderators use to make decisions and posts, there is much about various members that moderators are privy to. we make our decisons based on what is good for the board as whole, what has worked and what hasn't.

I beleive the Army in your word do complane the most it only makes sense ( not trying to PO ya) the army makes up 40+% of all armed services combined. Sorry about the last comment with carlie, I removed it you know this person how ever I do not and from my perspective and detail it wasn't pretty...... I'll stick to the information here. Thanks RC

yoggie2,

Sorry - but your post to me will not be edited out. The post you made to me will stand

as a copy & paste below:

"carlie not to fan flames here, I see the opposite of what you see more like who gets it easiest. And for you to play the rape card to make your self a victim and someone else villain is unfair, what a man supposed to say after that? are you so different. I my self wasn't in Vetnam or the current war but really is he not entitled to and opinion? I myself never seen his coments the way you do, man thats hard................... RC "

This is being done as an example of how members are not to post such belittling

information, we get that from VA already.

FYI - Tbird WAS NOT REFERRING TO ARMY VETERANS - she was referring to the specific poster

NOW going by the name of Nam Vet.

I do not feel ARMY VETERANS complain more than any other branch of service on a

percentage of ratio.

Veterans from all branches and periods of duty is what hadit is here to help.

jmho,

carlie

This post is so sad, because I use to peruse another message board, but their total disrespect for eachothers opinion was totally out of line. What I like about Hadit is that the Moderators on here really know how to mediate the board. We all have opinions and we have to learn to agree to disagree. Most on this board suffer from some type of mental disorder and are entitled to a bad day and vent, but that does not mean that person should be able to always do it (if they do). The person that is reading the post if you don't like what they say do one or two things keep reading and not reply or reply what you would have said and not post it(something I learned at a conference) :P

Peace and Blessings To All