VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Still File?

Rate this question

Lady Chance

Question

Please if someone could help us with this We would be very greatful. My brother had to stop working in Janaury of 2001 did not file until Feb 2005 because he was told he was getting an income from VA and could not get SSDI too. His Disablities have gotten worst. He worked up until 2001 and filed 2005. He was last insured on Dec 2003. Does this hurt him or can he file back to 2001? VA was trying to rehab him and it did not work during 2002. They just msde him PT 100 in June.

Thanks and Happy Hollidays

Lady C

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed for SSD on my own and was awarded the first time in under 5 months so it sort of depends. Having been in Hospital for 30 days probably helped my claim with SS.

• HadIt.com Elder

Perhaps after new years I can be of more help here. About 6-7 months ago I purchased the complete set(6-7 volumes) of books on winning SSDI claims, that lawyers use, for about $750. When they arrived I lost, never even looking at them, interest and put them in storage. I just got them out and will dig into them by mid January.

pr

There are some really obscure and complex IRS regs that allow some sort of averaging when a lump sum SSDI payment is involved. The averaging scheme has an effect on how taxable the SSDI lump sum payment may be.

The SSDI is totally taxable, speak with your accountant on this matter. You must decide and should decide what percentage you are going to have taken out each month for taxes. I do 10%, bummer I know