VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd

Rate this question

Lee Mullins

Question

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i don't have an answere to the subjects mentioned. i do have a question about va compensation. my sister was discharged for an injury to her back in 1991. she has had surgery on her back, which they had to put rods in. she also had to have her neck fused. she receives 70% disability compensation and also receives ssdi. there is no way she can work, and has tried to have her disibility compensation increased to 100%. she went to a va rep and he told to hang on because he was sure it would be approved. that was 2 years ago and she still hasn't heard from him. my sister is the type to say to hell with it. she has alot of responsibility, homeowner, son, etc. dose anybody out there have any information that would help? i've already started filling out the form 21-8940, but i don't have a clue what her earnings were back in 1990-1991. any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Chart sytle answer:

If a person applies for SSDI (NOT SSI) and:

--Is drawing veteran SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY benefits:

-------------- then all is ok cause he can draw full SSDI and veteran's SERVICE CONNECTED disability

--Is drawing a veteran's PENSION

---------------then all IS NOT ok. (see below posts)

ANYONE WHO SUBMITS AN APPLICATION FOR SOCIAL SECURITY RETIREMENT OR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE PAYMENTS IS AUTOMATICALLY LOOKED AT FOR SSI. YOU WILL BE TOLD UP FRONT THAT YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR SSI IF YOU EXCEED THE INCOME LEVELS. THIS NON-QUALIFICATION IS FOR SSI ONLY. THEY ARE AS REFERRING TO YOU APPLICATION FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE PAYMENTS. YOU WILL ALSO BE NOTIFIED IN WRITING OF THE DISAPPROVAL OF YOUR SSI APPLICATION (THE ONE YOU DID NOT SUBMIT CAUSE IT WAS DONE AUTOMATICALLY) THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT GO INTO A SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE AND ACTUALLY APPLY FOR SSI ARE THOSE WHO DO NOT QUALIFY FOR SS/SSDI. JMHO

Edited by Ricky

i don't have an answere to the subjects mentioned. i do have a question about va compensation. my sister was discharged for an injury to her back in 1991. she has had surgery on her back, which they had to put rods in. she also had to have her neck fused. she receives 70% disability compensation and also receives ssdi. there is no way she can work, and has tried to have her disibility compensation increased to 100%. she went to a va rep and he told to hang on because he was sure it would be approved. that was 2 years ago and she still hasn't heard from him. my sister is the type to say to hell with it. she has alot of responsibility, homeowner, son, etc. dose anybody out there have any information that would help? i've already started filling out the form 21-8940, but i don't have a clue what her earnings were back in 1990-1991. any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you

MODERATERRRRRR: PLEASE PUT THIS UNDER A NEW POST.

To answer your question. Please check on the status of her earlier claim. IT MAY STILL BE PENDING. In today's time 24 months is a reasonable time for a claim to be pending.

If you do have to reapply for some reason why not ask her what her earnings were. I understand that she does not want to fool with it but it appears that you are now doing all the work and she should be willing to estimate her earnings for those years.

Her SSDI files will help to obtain TDIU so I would get copies of those and send along with the claim and any new and material evidence you have in order to meet the requirements of a cause to re-opened claim.