VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumbar Strain Vs. Sciatica

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

Another question.

Upon my retirement in 2004 I submitted my original claim. I did claim low back pain (sciatica). They denied the condition, then off the NOD they actually gave me "Lumbar strain" at 20 percent in 2006.

I do have in my active duty medical record signs of left leg tingling, + sciatica, left buttox pain and l4 l5 radiculopathy. I just had my VA PCM give me a Lumbar MRI in 2007 and it shows L4-5 broad based disc buldge with paracental left protrusion. L5-S1 Broad based disc bulge with mild paracentral left component extending into the inferior aspect of the left neural foramen may contact the nerve root as it exits at this level.

But the C&P Examiner did the exam and during the time I guess he did not feel I have these problems of sciatica which I was claiming. I do not want to lose my 20 percent for "lumbar strain", they did say in the notes

"This is a grant of the benefit sought and the NOD is considered satisfied in full as to the low back issue, previously claimed as sciatica. It is noted that the current VA Exam does not objectively confirm sciatica, so service connection for this aspect of the claimbed back condition has not been established. However, a low back condition characterized as lumbosacral strain as ben established as service connected." " A future VA Exam is not needed since improvement in the condition is not anticipated."

Should I leave this all alone and not try to claim something like Lumbar DDD with Sciatica?

Thanks.

Y#5

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I had lower back strain in the military. I never had x-rays done on my back while in the military, but x-rays were done on my ankle when I sprained it. I have had x-rays done on my back since leaving the military, and then I had a MRI done on my back. The MRI should an annual bulge L4-L5 & herniated disk L5-S1. I have done no activity such as sports or heavy lifting since getting out of the military. Also I have DDD or OA of the lower back and also both knees. My nerve in my right leg goes crazy like some one is sticking me with pins or its on fire. Got a rating of nothing because they are saying its not related to my military injury.Need help if I should appeal this

I had lower back strain in the military. I never had x-rays done on my back while in the military, but x-rays were done on my ankle when I sprained it. I have had x-rays done on my back since leaving the military, and then I had a MRI done on my back. The MRI should an annual bulge L4-L5 & herniated disk L5-S1. I have done no activity such as sports or heavy lifting since getting out of the military. Also I have DDD or OA of the lower back and also both knees. My nerve in my right leg goes crazy like some one is sticking me with pins or its on fire. Got a rating of nothing because they are saying its not related to my military injury.Need help if I should appeal this

O4life,

Welcome.

This topic is several years old so I need to close it.

Please re-post your info by starting it as a New Topic.

Thanks