VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does The Va Make A Distinction Between Migraines And Headaches

Rate this question

mountain tyme

Question

Hello I have some pointed questions and need help.

I am in the middle of helping a retired veteran with his va claim. At the time of discharge he was granted...0 percent I may be reading his record wrong so please read the following out of his VA records (yellow paper) done at time of retirement.

Decision:

4. Service connection is afforded for muscle tension headaches and a less than 10 percent evaluation is in order.

reason:

4. Service medical records show initial complaint of headaches as early as xx/xx/83 at which time migraine was diagnosed. Subsequent service medical records show diagnosis of tension headaches or muscle tension headaches and this was the diagnosis at the time of the VA exam. A diagnosis of migraine headaches was not given, however. The veteran stated that these have been present for 15 years and are located in the posterior occipital area. Tey occur approximately every 10-12 days and last about 4-8 hours. However, they are not accompanied by nausea or vomiting and there is no vison change. Service connection is afforded as the headaches were chronic in service. However, as migraines were not involved a 10 percent or higher evaluation is not in order. (Which could be assigned with characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in two months over the last several months).

FAST FOWARD____________

In Feb. 07 the said veteran put in for an increase for muscle tension headaches. In Oct 07 the veteran received his decision the decision stated...

*We determined that the following service connected conditions haven't changed: Muscle tension headaches 0%

reason:

2. Evaluation of muscle tension headaches currently evaluated as 0 pecent disabling.

VA exam shows you reported that you have two to three headaches per week that are not prostrating. Your motor and sensory exams were normal.

The evaluation of the muscle tension headaches is continued as 0 percent disabling because the evidence fails to show this condition has worsened to a compesable level. A noncompensable evaluation is assigned unless there are charateristic prostrating attacks averging one in two months over the last several months.

With that said...

I went through his decision and discovered that his medical records from the family practice clinic at the base (he has tricare)were not included in the evidence. I asked the veteran if he submitted the doctor's notes and he said that he was told by the service rep (state of M0.) that the VA would get those records. What the VA did was they retrived the records from his VA health care team which they did.

but not from the air force base's primary care department.

This veteran has been seen on a regular basis for headaches thoughout his retirement...and the headaches turned into migraines...

As noted in Feb 07...his medical records state

Cheif Complaint:

Pt is here for migraines pt had migraine yesterday, stillhas headache today pt. states he has had two migrines in the last two weeks.

Migraine headaches, treated with imittrex. Has frequent "non migraine" headaches, states he can feel the difference with photophobia, N/V imitrex not aborting HA's

:Gastrointestinal symptoms: Nausea with migraine and vomiting with migraine

:Head symptoms: Headache preceded by aura

Conclusion:

1.) Migraine Headache: naprosyn 500mg bid for 2 weeks then PRN. Imitrex not aborting migraines so will swith to Maxalt 20mg.

F/U in two weeks

in two weeks he went in for his F/U and he was still having increased migraines that he had to stop whatever he was doing and lay down...his wife called the family practice at the base and talked to the doctor and he would tell her if his pain does not subside within 4 hours or gets worse to bring him into the ER...

at his two week appointment they added another medication to help prevent the migrains which is called.

so he is not taking

Rizatriptan (Maxalt)10 mg twice a day

Propranolol (inderal) 40 mg. three times a day

The veteran told me that the medication has helped but he still has migraines at least 3 times a month but not as frequently as he did...as long as he stays on his medication as prescribed.

So this brings us back to the claim for increase...

since the VA is stating muscle tension headaches and do not use the word migraine...should the veteran put in a NEW CLAIM FOR MIGRAINS or should he just put in for a reconsideration and send in the medical records from the family practice clinic from the base.

I feel based on the Diagnosic code 8100 that this veteran should rate out at the 30% level...

I don't want to tell them the wrong thing...but after reading the decision that you have before you...I think the VA only addressed the headaches and not the migraines...

We will be very grateful for any help you can give us in how to proceed with this claim...i have another tread regarding this but I had two issure in that thread so I want to concentrate on this one first.

Thank you all in advance

MT

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My husband filed a claim in 1980 due to headaches from boxing and getting hit in the head with a pickax.

He was awarded  0% from   April 1980, under 7805 OCCIPITAL AREA SCAR, SKULL (From pickax)

He was Denied service connection for 8199 8100 for HEADACHES they said it was (Not Service Connected and Not Incurred/Caused by Service) Headaches not found in service medical records.

My husband has complained about migraine headaches since he got out of the military and his original claim was for headaches.

In 1998 he filed a claim and was awarded 100% under diagnostic code 9304 combined for Dementia due to head trauma with mood disorder due to boxing in service and PTSD from July 1998.

Is it possible to get the headaches connected to his boxing in service? Also, the 1998 claim was for reopening his original 1980 claim.

Edited by Vet Dog and wife

my husband is currently rated 100% under diagnostic code 9304 (combined) for Dementia due to head trauma with mood disorder due to boxing in service and PTSD from July 1998.

My husband filed a claim in 1980 due to headaches from boxing and getting hit in the head with a pickax.

He was awarded  0% from  April 1980, under 7805 OCCIPITAL AREA SCAR, SKULL (From pickax)

He was (Denied) service connection for 8199 8100 for HEADACHES they said it was (Not Service Connected and Not Incurred/Caused by Service) they said, Headaches not found in service medical records.

My husband has complained about migraine headaches since he got out of the military and his original claim was for headaches.

In 1998 he filed a claim and was awarded 100% under diagnostic code 9304 combined for Dementia due to head trauma with mood disorder due to boxing in service and PTSD from July 1998.

Is it possible to get the headaches connected to his boxing in service? Also, the 1998 claim was for reopening his original 1980 claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

It would be helpful to know what diagnostic code he's rated under. It's obvious that they do differentiate between migraines and tension headaches, because they have done so here. It appears that they have rated the vet under the migraine code, though. All he has to do to get an increase is meet one of the criteria for a higher rating, as was stated in the SOC.

I think that he is already rated under the code 8100, so I would only put in for an increase. When I did this, I would include a 21-4138 stating that these are in fact migraines, and note that the clinic records are included this time. Then I would attatch copies of the tricare records to the 21-4138, with each page numbered 1 of XX, 2 of XX, etc. When he gets the increase, file a NOD for an earlier ED.

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged 50

attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.........

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an 30

average once a month over last several months................

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 10

months over last several months..............................

With less frequent attacks.................................... 0

rentalguy1

when we submit that form 21-4138 should we list that code (below) in the reconsideration statement along with the clinic records to show the migrains with the follow-up treatment?

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged 50

attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.........

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an 30

average once a month over last several months................

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 10

months over last several months..............................

With less frequent attacks.................................... 0

thanks

MT

• HadIt.com Elder

It all depends on what code he is actually rated under currently. If he is currently rated under code 8100, then the answer is no. Just claim an increase.

If he is under another code, then yes. Tell them that VA has him erroniously rated under DX Code XXXX, and it should be changed to code 8100, with a rating of 30%. If you don't ask for a particular percentage, then the claimant is the only one to blame when he gets low-balled. The worst thing they can do if you ask for a particular rating is say no, to which you reply with a NOD. Good Luck!