VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lower Back Pain/sciatica/ Nerve Damage

Rate this question

LOA

Question

hi everyone,

I just got back from a electronic nerve test and the physician said I have nerve damage. He believes it is caused by my lower back. He is not sure wether it is rejuvenating itself or it is stable. This is all S/C from a motor vehicle accident. I had a disk replacement at l4/5 and now I have an artifical disk. I still have lower back pains with pain radiating down my legs with interior thigh numbness and calf (bilateral) pain/aching. I have limited ROM which is caused because my back will not bend. My back moves as one unit (like it is fused), I can bend forward about 45 degrees, 0 backwards and about 10 degrees to either side. I also had a L2 spinous process fracture that is healed, but is still a tender point.

Can you tell me what code they should list this under? Does the stack rule apply here or can it be rated under several codes.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I hope you get the rating you more surely deserve but i was told get any rating first then go back for the increase.    Can anyone help me,i was diagnosed with pirformis sydrome/sciatica and given 40%,they said because i needed a doctor to say the problem am have with my leg now has to state a connection to the fall i had in Germany in 1983. Do anyone know of a orthopedic doctor in Houston,tx that will be able to help me. I had a Mri done recently now am told i have spinal stenosis in my spine. The va here is usless, they are again under investigation for tampering with veterans appts. I need an outside doctor. Also how do i get back pay from 1994 for this. The Va claim they have kno record but i still have the letter they sent denying me. Please help. Thank you all

I have a nerve damage due to shrapnel in the left side of my head which the VA found after two years

of migraine haedaches,  I now also have a scar.  The VA only give me 80% after I got out in 2007.

The Shrapnel was discover after me getting out.   Also I got % for my left knee injury  which now has turned in Tendinitis.

Each time I try to have then do a up grade it comes by no.

I hate to add my question but it’s similar.

i was sc  100% secular 12 yrs ago.  At the DRO hearing I asked that they rate my arthritis at 0 % (mycervical is document in my service record). My thought process was I just need to get my back wrist, ankles and knees SC period I would go back and ask for an increase when needed .  Now I need the increase and I need smc that gives you money for cleaning house and shopping . 

paralysis of middle radical are nerves 20% bilateral

Traumatic arthritis 0% 10 times

PTSD 70%

degenerative arthritis of the spine 10%

lumbarsacral or Cervical Strain. 20 %

residual of foot , injury10%

ecezema 10%

limited range of motion wrist 10%

arthritis rheumatoid (atrophic 10% ) I don’t know what this is

asthma, bronchial 30%

limited motion of arm  20%

superficial scar 0%

my spine and cervical are bad

I had a reaction to to my spinal injection called steroid flare.  I’ve had 28 injections mostly all back.  I believe the person who did this last injection put so much pressure on my back he herniated a disc.

my last mri showed last mri showed L1-2 arthritis,  L2-3 artheitis,  L4-5 herniated cord pressure

S1-2 arthritis  can’t see due do the leakage of L4-5 

i was Dx by Er doc and Radiologist of have R leg  radiculopathy.  I have been housebound since Nov 9.  I have to use a wheelchair.  For a week I was bed bound without help during the day.  I mean bed bound I moved a finger and I screamed, it was the worse pain ever.   

I have been referred to neurosurgery but I was told they will never get rid of my back pain but thy can get rid of the sciatica pain.

i also have sleep apathy but no nexus.  

12 years ago I filed for prostrating headaches with nexus they never rated or denied the headaches.  I didn’t care because I was 100% and my arthritis was SC.  Now it’s inportant, I think I know how they missed it, it was included in a claim that had addition evidence to support another claim and I do have a date stamped copy.

the va did authorize a mobility cart, walker and cane, bathroom chair.

my point I reall need smc where I can hire someone to do things I can’t and still live independent.

any advice.  Maybe I should move this let me know.

ruby

• HadIt.com Elder

5235 for the L2 Fracture

5243 for the L4-5 Disc Replacement (These are considered seperate joints, so this isn't pyramiding)

5243-8520 for incomplete paralysis of the sciatic nerve (shooting pain down back of legs)

5243-8523 for incomplete paralysis of the deep peroneal nerve (thigh numbness and calf pain)

5235 - 10%

5243 - 20%

5243-8520 - 10%

5243-8523 - 10%

That's the closest I can get to it, but it's hard to say what the VA will actually say/do.

I know you will get additional percentage for (bilateral) sciatica, (see other thread) but I do not know what it will be. I have the same disability and I m trying to figure out how it is rated.

Edited by hurryupnwait

• HadIt.com Elder

In the IVDS training letter, it is stated that the rater should use the "mild" (10%) level and never more than the "moderate" (20%) level for rating neuropathy. If you have bilateral "mild" that would be a total of 20.9%. If you have a bilateral moderate that would be a total of 39.6%.