VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Seen This?

Personally, I can't figure out how in the heck the system works. I hardly seem to get paid the same twice and often feel I'm getting way over paid. (I take it gratefully considering it a "tax refund.") But if my calculations are right, yesterday, I got $.60/mile. Today, (I happened to have back to back appointments) I got $.44/mi. Then again, I go to a VAMC about 65 miles from me but there is a VA clinic within 20 miles. If I get a treatment at the hospital I could have got at the clinic, the only pay the fare for the clinic. (and I don't have any complaint with that either, for the record.) But how they figure the amounts is beyond me.

By the way, how you get the money varies a little from location to location. In my local hospital, you first have the sign out clerk "put you in" for your travel pay. Then you go to the cashier's window, sign the form and get your $ all at one stop. At times I have to go to Houston. There, like another person said, (after having the clerk send in the request for travel pay to the cashier's window), you sign the form at one window and pick up your $ at another.

But, can someone please explain how when the mileage stays the same, amount of $ changes time to time (not counting the change for Clinic distance rate)

Thanks!

Edited by Jayg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I can't figure out how in the heck the system works. I hardly seem to get paid the same twice and often feel I'm getting way over paid. (I take it gratefully considering it a "tax refund.") But if my calculations are right, yesterday, I got $.60/mile. Today, (I happened to have back to back appointments) I got $.44/mi. Then again, I go to a VAMC about 65 miles from me but there is a VA clinic within 20 miles. If I get a treatment at the hospital I could have got at the clinic, the only pay the fare for the clinic. (and I don't have any complaint with that either, for the record.) But how they figure the amounts is beyond me.

By the way, how you get the money varies a little from location to location. In my local hospital, you first have the sign out clerk "put you in" for your travel pay. Then you go to the cashier's window, sign the form and get your $ all at one stop. At times I have to go to Houston. There, like another person said, (after having the clerk send in the request for travel pay to the cashier's window), you sign the form at one window and pick up your $ at another.

But, can someone please explain how when the mileage stays the same, amount of $ changes time to time (not counting the change for Clinic distance rate)

Thanks!

If you are 50%-is it true there is no deducatable for travel pay. Some folks are being charge-I am wondering why and if there any exceptions-thanks

If you are 50%-is it true there is no deducatable for travel pay. Some folks are being charge-I am wondering why and if there any exceptions-thanks

That is NOT true. There is a 6.00 Deductible for round trip for anyone, I am at 70% and still have the deductible's. After a total of 3 visits/appointments in the same month your deductible is waved. So on your 4th visit/appointment, you are not subject to the deductible. If you are going to a C&P, there is NO deductible. I don't know where you folks go, but at the VAMAC in St. Louis, your are reimbursed at the rate of .41cents a mile.

Edited by Chu Lai69