VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected Osteoarthritis And Degenerative Joint Disease

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

The VA just determined the following conditions are related to my military service, so connection has been granted:

Degenerative joint disease cervical spine, assigned 10%.

Degenerative joint disease, lumbar spine, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Shoulder, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Shoulder, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Hip, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Hip, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Wrist, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Wrist, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left knee, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right knee, assigned 10%.

TOTAL 10%

Can this possibly be correct? I am crippled, and have continuous pain, even lying down. I cannot stand, walk or take stairs. The VA knows all this.

My hunch is they are waiting on attrition!

Someone please explain this decision to me or advise.

Thank You.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The bright side of this is that the various conditions are now service connected. So, you can ask for higher ratings and TDIU due to the multiple SC conditions. The VA often "low balls" original compensation claims. A notice of disagreement (NOD) is one way, and perhaps the first of several steps. You should, if eligible, also file for SSDI. An SSDI approval for SC connected conditions is extremely useful, and will help substantiate your claim.

As for a detailed description of how and why the VA assigned the various 10% ratings, a look at the VA's disability/compensation schedule will provide some idea. You should ask the VA for an "SOC" and the details concerning the way they assigned the 10% ratings. (If they have not already given you that information.) You will need to conduct most of the research and so forth personally. This helps provide a rationale for the NOD.

The VA just determined the following conditions are related to my military service, so connection has been granted:

Degenerative joint disease cervical spine, assigned 10%.

Degenerative joint disease, lumbar spine, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Shoulder, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Shoulder, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Hip, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Hip, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Wrist, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Wrist, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left knee, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right knee, assigned 10%.

TOTAL 10%

Can this possibly be correct? I am crippled, and have continuous pain, even lying down. I cannot stand, walk or take stairs. The VA knows all this.

My hunch is they are waiting on attrition!

Someone please explain this decision to me or advise.

Thank You.

Are you saying they totalled all this and gave you 10% ?????

also did any consider the bilateral factor?

if you are not working did you formally apply for TDIU?

• HadIt.com Elder

Let's see:

10 X 10 = 10

People keep asking me, "Why is the VA so SCREWED UP?"

The above is a perfectly good example, I would think.

I'd be willing to bet that they can't do much better with adding or subtracting, either. :lol:

Chuck75 and Berta,

Thanks for the replies. You are exactly right all those add up to 10%. I did get a Statement Of Claim, but do not know about a bilateral factor. I could get 20% if a group of joints were affected. You are right I got low-balled. I have deformity and have lost 2" of height. Also wearing VA issue braces on the legs. Two VA doctors knew my condition was SC and made the notes. They gave the civilian doctors statements credibility. My employer has given me Special Accomodation so I'm thankful for that.

Regards "Old 5311"

•The decision was a disappointing surprise. I am living with a service connected disabling handicap with continuous pain. I cannot stand, walk or take steps. This condition increases my PTSD symptoms. Their decision is for only 10%. Do you have any thoughts or advice on this? Page no. 7 says a 20% evaluation is not warranted unless X-ray evidence shows involvement of two or more major joint groups with incapacitating exacerbations of flexion limited to 30 degrees; or evidence of limitation of abduction lost beyond 10 degrees. This disability is very hard to live with, the limitations are endless. I would think it should be 40-60%.

R/"Old 5311"

I sure would check the diagnostic codes too as well as the rating schedule-

and I would think the braces would put you into a higher rating for some of this-

Bizarre-

I guess if ten vets showed up -with one claim each -and each claim was just like one of yours then VA would pay 10 vets 10% each.????

maybe that doesnt make sense what I just said but sometimes the VA's Rationale is utterly weird to me.