VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected Osteoarthritis And Degenerative Joint Disease

Rate this question

Old 5311

Question

The VA just determined the following conditions are related to my military service, so connection has been granted:

Degenerative joint disease cervical spine, assigned 10%.

Degenerative joint disease, lumbar spine, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Shoulder, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Shoulder, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Hip, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Hip, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left Wrist, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right Wrist, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Left knee, assigned 10%.

Osteoarthritis, Right knee, assigned 10%.

TOTAL 10%

Can this possibly be correct? I am crippled, and have continuous pain, even lying down. I cannot stand, walk or take stairs. The VA knows all this.

My hunch is they are waiting on attrition!

Someone please explain this decision to me or advise.

Thank You.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Today I sent a NOD for the 10% OA Appeal. Also sent employer's comments regarding accommodations and many pictures. I sent it via my new DAV VSO at St. Pete. Kelly Sunday. This VSO is a real go-getter. I wish I knew the gender but what ever, the e-mailed NOD was forwarded to the Appeals Board. I had to ask the question about how long it would take to get a response. Typically 2-3 years!! The best thing the VA has going for them is ATTRITION!

Last week I sent a Notice of Omission. ED was part 2 of the appeal which was not addressed. ED is a result of years of PTSD meds, trial meds, cocktail meds, and routine anxiety/depression/insomnia meds. Word of advice, check the side effects of your meds, do your refills on time and be careful. The side effects may be causing your symptoms! ED is a real slam to the morale. Feb. 18, 2008 we will celebrate our 41st anniversary. She is a wonderful, faithful wife who honors the Oaths we took before God and witnesses. She is one in a million.

If anyone has a success story regarding ED please let me know.

Warm FL Regards, Jim

Old 5311

Yesterday a fairly large direct deposit from the VA was discovered in my CU account. Nice surprise, but I don't know what it was for. I've akked my VSO and waiting for a reply. Do you think a letter will come soon explaining it? It could be an error.

Thanks.

WOW!!!! all you can do is sit tight- this happened to me and I called VA many times as to what the heck one check was for-a biggy and no letter until a few days later-

Then again you got one of the most BIZARRE award letters for the 10% that I had ever seen!

I hope they acted on your TDIU and maybe that is what the $$$ is for-

you could play around with the VA Comp schedule and the date of month you filed the claim- use date of next month-

and see if something fits in to the amount (add your dependents too- OR just sit back and say WHEW and take the family out for a special dinner and wait for the letter -which is SOOOOOOO hard to do when one gets a big VA check)

I am at 40% and in a similar boat with the arthritis but have not worked since 2004. I just yesterday got a SSOC and it stated continued denial of TDIU but made a point of mentioning the record of "severe debilitating arthritis." My ankles, knees hips and back are a mess with neuoropathy too.

I am connected for ankle injury and flat feet so I think they're telling me that if I can convince them my arthritis is service connected, I'll get it. I could then claim the side effects of the heavy meds (methadone for pain) I'm on too.

Can I ask how you got connected for arthritis???

I have scrounged a couple medical studies referring to it but I'm thin on the ground there. My sole provider is the VA and my Dr. there is good to me and conscientious as far as patient care goes, but he won't stretch far enough to flat say my arthritis is caused by my service connected conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

JQ, if you have a "record of severe debillitating arthritis", to what do they attribute that?

Have they said?