VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus And Meniere's Disease

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang

I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, GlennieHB said:

I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 

I have 10% on hearing loss. Recently I was diagnosed with MD. The VSO in Montgomery told me that I needed to get my doctor write a statement saying that it was military connected or otherwise they could not help me. Such a snotty attitude. Sad because you serve and get the worst end but I guess it depends on where you live. I am going tomorrow to see if my ENT will give me the statement linking it to my Construction Equipment Repair MOS (62B). I will let you know what he does. I have severe hearing loss in my right ear. I have fallen 3 times. The nausea is terrible and the vertigo still occurs. The ENT told me to stay away from the salt. I have been to the ENT balance center so I am praying that helps to. Will keep yall posted.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2008 at 6:52 PM, Josephine said:

I just may be able to help you. First tell me why you have the 10% service connection for the Tinnitus?

I have no sense of balance and have not had since 1994. I have severe Vestibular Disease.

I have lived and experienced everything that you are speaking of.

What I am going to try to do is find the link to your present service connection.

I am pretty good at it, but you have to live this illness to know it.

Always,

Betty

Hi Betty, I just read your post. I have 10% for hearing loss in my right ear. Got diagnosed with MD and have to get a doctor to link it to the Construction Equipment Repair (62B) in order to file and get approved. I am also filing Sarcoidosis, which started in my eyes. I have that currently in appeal. I am going to my ENT tomorrow to see if I can get a statement on his letter head linking MD and my mos. Will keep you posted.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:19 PM, shortygal205 said:

Hi Betty, I just read your post. I have 10% for hearing loss in my right ear. Got diagnosed with MD and have to get a doctor to link it to the Construction Equipment Repair (62B) in order to file and get approved. I am also filing Sarcoidosis, which started in my eyes. I have that currently in appeal. I am going to my ENT tomorrow to see if I can get a statement on his letter head linking MD and my mos. Will keep you posted.

any update on your claim? What happened after/if you received the letter relating your MD to service? Thanks. 

I am no expert, but I do have a family member that has Meniere's Disease.

Unless someone knows otherwise, Meniere's can not be secondary to Tinnitus, actually Tinnitus would be secondary to Meniere's.

I posted the VA rating section for Meniere's here for you.

6205 Meniere’s syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops):

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait

occurring more than once weekly, with or without tinnitus............................... 100

Hearing impairment with attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait

occurring from one to four times a month, with or without tinnitus.................... 60

Hearing impairment with vertigo less than once a month, with or

without tinnitus........................................................................

............................ 30

Note: Evaluate Meniere’s syndrome either under these criteria or by separately evaluating vertigo (as a peripheral vestibular disorder), hearing impairment, and tinnitus, whichever method results in a higher overall evaluation. But do not combine an evaluation for hearing impairment, tinnitus, or vertigo with an evaluation under diagnostic code 6205.

It is my understanding that Maniere's Disease in and of itself actually means "A disease of balance (vertigo) with possible hearing loss, and other ear related issues, with no other identifyable cause". It is usually diagnosed by ruling out other balance diseases that have specific symptoms and causes. I can't help you with a possible service connected cause.

I hope this helps some.

I just found this also form the VA ratings schedule:

6260 Tinnitus, recurrent.......................................................................

.................................... 10

Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204, or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.

It sounds like to me you could be rated separately or combined depending on the situation.