VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depakote/bipolar

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I was diagnosed at the VAMC with mood swings, secondary to MS back in 95' or so when I received NSC-Pension.

The Private MD i've been seeing for a year maybe, recently prescribed depakote. I've been on it now for over two weeks and already feeling a drastic change. More energy, better control of depression, etc.

Wife believes I may have been experiencing something called: rapid cycling for some time. Anyone know what this is?

Also, any drastic side effects?

Just came back from Psych appointment in Wenatchee, WA. It's good to see some decent Mental health for Vets come to this area.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked as a medication nurse (LPN) for a state psych hospital,Depacote worked very well,main complaint/side effect was weight gain,bothered the women far more then the men.What bothers most bi polars is when the medication works and they begin missing the mania and forgetting about the depression.Mania is addictive.Glad you are getting treatment and good results.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello Rebecca,

already having problems with weight gain, but life is much better.

Thanks for the reply.

Allan

Rebecca,

You wrote "What bothers most bi polars is when the medication works and they begin missing the mania and forgetting about the depression.Mania is addictive.Glad you are getting treatment and good results."

I'm bp and think mania sucks big time. I don't understand your comment about it being addictive.

Have you seem bp patients get much relief long term with valium for their premania anxiety?

Thanks,

TS Snave

Let's see,I worked in a state psych ward and most of my bi-polars had drug issues,there was no way they were getting a valium prescription.Mania seems to be like childbirth-after a while,you forget the pain and want boundless energy,a perpetual smile,a feeling of euphoria,be able to ignore anything negative in your life,to get skinny and buff again,never mind the rest of the overspending,never sleeping,high anxiety drama queen lifestyle,etc. People who are use to being "revved up" complain that "normal" feels flat,tired and emotionless.Besides drug treatment, bi-polars need an achievable,organized plan of living,goals,and structured exercise.Bi polars are normally high achievers and NEED to continue to do so.Exercise and daily interaction with positive people,try to go "out" to eat at least once a week and actually talk to the person you are eating with. Define and promote a "sense of well being" + medication can make a huge difference in the life of a bipolar.People who quit taking their meds because they say "they aren't working anymore" usually have some type of mental sabatoge going on. They start taling medication with the attitude of wanting to get better,they stop taking it with the attitude of wanting to be differant. The medication doesn't need to change,the person needs to change. Need to qualify, this is my opinion.