VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange

Rate this question

keepugessn

Question

Hi all,

Does anyone know if they consider Cirrosis a disease caused by Agent Orange? I have read articles that say

it is the cause and as a secondary the Dupretryns contracture is from cirrosis. I possibly have both, definately

the contracture but almost positive about the cirrosis. Have had since 1971/1972 after Vietnam where we ate drank and slept in the ao stuff. I was a door gunner and it covered us because we flew behind, under, around planes spreading the stuff. I have serious lung issues that are cronic but how do you tie the two together?

Thanks Lance

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all,

Does anyone know if they consider Cirrosis a disease caused by Agent Orange? I have read articles that say

it is the cause and as a secondary the Dupretryns contracture is from cirrosis. I possibly have both, definately

the contracture but almost positive about the cirrosis. Have had since 1971/1972 after Vietnam where we ate drank and slept in the ao stuff. I was a door gunner and it covered us because we flew behind, under, around planes spreading the stuff. I have serious lung issues that are cronic but how do you tie the two together?

Thanks Lance

Hi Lance,

The following might be of help to you:

Current Conditions Considered by VA Presumptive to AO Exposure:

These are the diseases which VA currently presumes resulted from exposure to herbicides like Agent Orange. The law requires that some of these diseases be at least 10% disabling under VA's rating regulations within a deadline that began to run the day you left Vietnam. If there is a deadline, it is listed in parentheses after the name of the disease.

If you would like any additional information regarding the specific medical conditions listed below, please see the
Veterans Exposed to Herbicides

(Agent Orange) Presumptive service connection is available to veterans who served in Vietnam and parts of Korea along the DMZ. The presumptive diseases are as follows:

Types of Cancer with no time requirements for manifestation

Cancer of the bronchus

Cancer of the larynx

Lung Cancer

Prostate cancer

Cancer of the trachea

Hodgkin’s disease

Multiple myeloma

Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia

Types of Soft Tissue Sarcoma with no time

requirements for manifestation

Adult Fibrosarcoma

Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma

Angiosarcoma

Clear Cell Sarcoma of Aponeuroses

Clear Cell Sarcoma of Tendons and

Aponeuroses

Congenital Fibrosarcoma

Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans

Ectomesenchymoma

Epithelioid Malignant Leiomyosarcoma

Epithelioid and Glandular Malignant

Schwannomas

Epithelioid Sarcoma

Extraskeletal Ewing’s Sarcoma

Hemangiosarcoma

Infantile Fibrosarcoma

Leiomyosarcoma

Liposarcoma

Lymphangiosarcoma

Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma

Malignant Giant Cell Tumor of the

Tendon Sheath

Malignant Glandular Schwannoma

Malignant Glomus Tumor

Malignant Hemangiopericytoma

Malignant Mesenchymoma

Malignant Ganglioneuroma

Malignant Granular Cell Tumor

Malignant Leiomyoblastoma

Malignant Synovioma

Malignant Schwannoma with Rhabdomyoblastic Differentiation

Proliferating (systemic)

Angiendotheliomatosis

Rhabdomyosarcoma

Synovial Sarcoma

Diseases other than Cancer with various time requirements

Type 2 Diabetes (Also known as Diabetes Mellitus)

Periperal neuropathy (acute or subacute)

Chloracne

Porphyria Cutanea Tarda

Disabilities in Children of Vietnam Veterans

Spina Bifida

Certain Birth Defects in Children of VN Veterans

What if I served in Vietnam and Have a Disease Not on VA'S List?

If you served in Vietnam and believe that you have a disease caused by herbicide exposure, but that disease is not on VA'S list of diseases associated with herbicides like Agent Orange, you may still apply for service-connection. Such a veteran needs to establish entitlement to service connection on a "direct" (rather than "presumptive") basis. In these cases, VA requires:

1) competent medical evidence of a current disability;

2) competent evidence of exposure to a herbicide in Vietnam; and

3) competent medical evidence of a nexus (casual relationship) between the herbicide exposure and the current disability.

For more Q/A about Agent Orange access:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/herbicide/AOno3.htm

Good luck,

Ron

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

Thanks for the reply Ron I really appreciate it.

From what I read if its not on the list, I need a doctor to show I have an issue with these two things and

then prove I was saturated with this stuff, and then that the issues I do have are directly related

to Agent Orange? Is that right? I am having trouble with how to put all this together but this site as been

truly a godsend. Some of us may not post everyday or respond all the time but we are here and reading every word you all have to say and it helps alot.

Lance

• HadIt.com Elder

What I know is that if your disease is not on the presumtive list you are in for a fight to get it service connected. It is not impossible. Do you have anything in your service medical records about liver problems? How about Hep C? There have been claims that the guns they used to give us our shots were contaminated and spread Hep C. Have you been tested for Hep C? If you have not been a heavy drinker or abuser of IV drugs where did the liver problems start? If you have any evidence that these problems started within one year of discharge you may have a claim as a presumptive disease. This is not an average claim and will take research. One of the expert lawyers who do COVA cases might know something.

Thanks for the reply Ron I really appreciate it.

From what I read if its not on the list, I need a doctor to show I have an issue with these two things and

then prove I was saturated with this stuff, and then that the issues I do have are directly related

to Agent Orange? Is that right? I am having trouble with how to put all this together but this site as been

truly a godsend. Some of us may not post everyday or respond all the time but we are here and reading every word you all have to say and it helps alot.

Lance

Lance,

Although I have diabetes II, presumptively caused by Agent Orange, I'm really not an expert on the subject. However, many on Hadit are, particularly Berta. Many of these folks visit early in the morning or late at night. In the meantime, you might visit:

http://www.vietnow.com/pagesvaret/agent.htm for more info on AO.

Ron

Well for the most part I have contractures in my hands that started curling up within the year after I left Vietnam. It is caused from Cirrosis of the liver and I did not drink or do drugs at that time nor do I do them now

maybe an occasional beer but thats it. I have medical records going back a long time from reg doc stating the contractures and I am not sure of the hep c don't have any knowledge of having that yet??? lol thanks :rolleyes:

With the lung issues and this I thought for sure it was from AO though.

• HadIt.com Elder

Keep:

You need a boiler plated Medical Opinion that can link your Cirrosis to your service and Agent Orange. It looks like you have a good claim to me but its just me thinking so. The fact that you did not frink nor do now should help your claim

By the way the VA goons pretty much think every Veteran is or was a drinker and drugs.