VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Statement For Increased Ptsd

Rate this question

majrrich

Question

Hi All, I am currently assisting another veteran width his claim . he had shrapnel removed from his nose and leg in the field during combat the medic who helped him was killed a short time later. He never received any furthur treatment and there is no record of these injuries, we ere unable to loate anyone who witnessed this. I was tere but have no recolation of the incident.

Question is when we prepare his statement for an incrase in PTSD compesation sholu I include this in the statement? If I do will it look like he is lying since we have no proof

Thanks

Rich

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You said "increase" for PTSD so that means his stressor/s have already been verified by the VA-

is he claiming residuals from the scrapnel? This would have to be claimed separately from the PTSD "increase" claim-he would have to prove the event and his schrapnel removal as well as prove he has a current disability from this.

PTSD ratings are "increased" based on medical evidence that shows that the effects of PTSD have increased- such as the vet cannot maintain employment, the vet needs higher levels of PTSD medications, the vet has developed depression due to the PTSD,the vet's PTSD has required hospitalization,etc etc-

it does not involve any additional stressor info once the PTSD is SCed-

I know combat medics- they were well trained even under fire, to attempt to document all injuries.It appears this medic died before he could do that.

He doesnt need this info for a "increase" in his PTSD rating.

Thanks Berta

Thanks for the response. He currently is 30% PTSD and his symptoms have increased. he is back in therapy and seeing a VA Psych and getting medication. His stressor is verified . If I understand correctly his statment should just reflect on what PTSD symptoms he is experiencing now and not what caused it

Yes- whatever has made it worse-

For example my husband was 30% for many years-

he had 2 hospitalizations for PTSD and also after years of no meds (his VA PTSD doc was only a psychologist and couldnt medicate) finally he got to the real PTSD shrink- got meds and also took a battery of tests that revealed higher level of PTSD.Also he had a DOL case against a private employer which he won under the ADA and a EEOC case against the VA as employer -which he lost- and the documentation and testimony -in both situations-showed he had extremely high levels of PTSD."catastrophic" was the finally diagnosis of his level of PTSD from the real VA shrink.SSA awarded him solely for PTSD and then VA did too-3 years after his death.

Emp.loyer personnel records, statements from family members, increased medications etc- there are the things that show PTSD at a higher level.

If this vet is not working he should apply for TDIU too if he feels that he is unable to work due to his PTSD.

30% Low ball rating, but it seems to be the Norm with the VA. I've had my PTSD increased twice this past 3 years. 1st time it only took 3 months I think and the 2nd time took just over a year. Its like pulling teeth out of a lion. As I get older my symptoms have gotten worse. Depression takes a hold of you and can kill you. PTSD and Major Depression is one cocktail I don't wish on anyone. I stopped drinking and the symptoms have got worse. Not saying keep drinking if you do, Does that make since? I have 5 children and that stress alone would make anybody lose your mind. My wife is just waiting for me to kill myself. I've thought about making it look like a accident so she can get the Insurance she has on me. The only thing keeping me alive is my children. I cannot hurt them like that. They already have problems from my PTSD, nothing major but my wife compares them to my crazy Azz. Good Luck!

Going back on your orginal question about providing evidence, what conflict was this? If it is Iraqi Freedom, go into Central Command's website and search for the incident or the " Fatality ", then write a statement that you were there using that evidence.

That's what I did and it worked. My horroble incident caused 3 lives, it was on the evening news and Central Command's web reporting. I then got buddy letters and a Bronze Star receipient to write statements that I was there. In addition, my commander also wrote me a letter.

When the VA low balled me the first time, they made me angry when they wrote " How do we know you were really there?, no evidence ". I've gave them all of that on my first NOD letter. It was undisputable.

Thanks to all that answered. His stressor was proven by his previous award we sent in his statement, copy of Presidental Unit Citation that was awarded to Company for this action, we also sent an obituary about his best friend who was killed . At the time this solider was KIA my friend was in the Hosp with Malaria and has terrible survior guilt as he was the squad leader when his friend was killed. All treatment that he receives is thru the VAMC so they should have no prob lem with the medical records.

Thanks again

Rich