HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

10%
    $150.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CowGirl,

Wow, I am so glad to see all of the information and guidance that you guys offer. It is normally my husbands duty to guide, gaurd and govern, but not in this situation. I really appreciate it more than you know. I am taking down the notes as fast as you all put them up here. I am heading over to the VA hospital today to see where to start here in Houston. I spoke with a Vietnam vet at my church last night, and he assured me that they would set me in the right direction. I did file for my SMR's yesturday, and I am in the process of getting an MRI on my lower back and hip. However, I went a very long time with out insurance, so have very, very few medical records. But, the last 2 years are documented with the same doctor. I did not get a physical upon release, but I did give birth. So, all of my history with the service should be recorded up until the last day. I am anxious to see the records. It has been a long time.

Now, as for the MRI, I will have to pay out of pocket for 10% of that, should I wait until my initial paper work is started in order to get reimbursment later, or go ahead and do it now? It sounds like you have been through all sorts of trouble with this, and I would rather not reinvent the wheel, I will gladly learn from your lessons.

Okay this is the deal, it takes a few weeks, probably two or three to get a copy of your medical records. To first file for disability compensation from the VA you'll need to read up and its not difficult to get started. Once the VA application starts, its important to know what to expect and I expect thats why we are here at Hadit, because its alot of difficult lessons learned.

Do you have a HMO or other health insurance provider? If so it would be important to consider making sure the injury (or specific injuries) that you have is specifically related to your military experience. So by getting your SMRs, you can extrapolate any care you receieved for the injury(s)while in service. For example, if its your leg or hip, you can provide your service record information to your private doctor for a diagnostic statement called a IMO* (independent medical opinion*) which its important to read up on. When filing for compensation, the VA examines for injuries claimed. If possible its helpful if you have a current condition diagnosis (IMO) to submit to the VA so they can identify a service connection (nexus) to a currently diagnosed injury for compensation.

Not everyone got a physical when they were released, if you did, then its important to review that for claimed conditions, it'll help. Medical opinions are key to claims. I had expected the va to see the injuries in my smr's, sure didnt work that way and here it is over a decade later, I'm still working my issues. Of course my heart goes out to others like Agent Orange veterans, the conditions show up so much later and the claims process most times moves so slow some vets have been known to stress out and not even try. Bottom line, there are Veterans Benefits are 'due' veterans, we have to learn the VA way to apply for them.

Hope I have given you an idea or two, best to ya, cg

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello again, I apologize for talking so fast about so many things and appreciate my dear freind Rickys step by step approach. Either way, it sounds like you are started along a good claim path. As far as getting re-imbursed for mri, that is another issue.

As Ricky mentioned, a VSO is very helpful, but be mindful that they wont "work" for you, they will represent you as a Power of Attorney and 'guide' some of your steps. YOU are going to have to find what works for you, get your records, SMRs and clear medical opinions that relate your military injuries to current conditions that you have today. Yes, that means possibly providing your doctor with portions of your military records to validate an injury if you want.

Do create a file and keep copies of everything you submit and or recieve from the VA. (letter envelopes included). Do know that any appointment the VA sets up will be noted in a new file called your Compensation File (Cfile). Heads up, its very important to attend scheduled appointment. My Cfile has records of a telephone call made to my home and my daughter answered the phone (a young lady answered and sounded capable, took the message to have the veteran return the call to our office). Well, the daugher didnt clue mom in, so it shows as 'no show'. That was years ago, but the amount of detail the VA keeps is amazing and can be used for or against a vet, just read several of the posts here to see that.

Note, please dont take anything the VA sends you 'personal', often the statements are preset or VA, medical 'regulation speak'. I did that in the beginnig of my claim process and delayed action for years because of the ambiguity of their system. Until I got to Hadit, I was in the dark about the compensation that is 'due me' by law.

Best to ya. cg

CowGirl,

Wow, I am so glad to see all of the information and guidance that you guys offer. It is normally my husbands duty to guide, gaurd and govern, but not in this situation. I really appreciate it more than you know. I am taking down the notes as fast as you all put them up here. I am heading over to the VA hospital today to see where to start here in Houston. I spoke with a Vietnam vet at my church last night, and he assured me that they would set me in the right direction. I did file for my SMR's yesturday, and I am in the process of getting an MRI on my lower back and hip. However, I went a very long time with out insurance, so have very, very few medical records. But, the last 2 years are documented with the same doctor. I did not get a physical upon release, but I did give birth. So, all of my history with the service should be recorded up until the last day. I am anxious to see the records. It has been a long time.

Now, as for the MRI, I will have to pay out of pocket for 10% of that, should I wait until my initial paper work is started in order to get reimbursment later, or go ahead and do it now? It sounds like you have been through all sorts of trouble with this, and I would rather not reinvent the wheel, I will gladly learn from your lessons.

Edited by cowgirl