VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Additional $$ For Spouse/child?

Rate this question

mriguy

Question

Hello all,

just curious, recently awarded 40% sc. What is the process for receiving the extra payment for spouse/child? Sent in requested paperwork(spouses previous divorce decree and childs SSN). A few days ago, got a letter from VA stating that they are working on my claim for benefits...I thought they would get that paperwork from me, check it out and presto! I would start getting the extra...ok,ok, stop laughing! I know NOTHING is presto with VA. Does anyone know how long this generally takes? what VA has to do to decide all is in order? Will that be back paid to claim filing date as well?

Thanks to all,

Todd

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello and welcome, there is no set time for dependents rate increase on compensation that I know of. Each VARO responds a bit different, depending on workload I am sure. Now the VA gave me an increased rating last summer, then I added dependents, and I am still waiting for the increase and back pay due for such. When I inquired, I found out that this type of claim was reprioritized regularly by the prior administration (or shuffled to the bottom of the stacks). Now that I have another active claim in process, I was told when that decision is made, dependents rate will catch up. My guess the whole dependents claim could take between six weeks to six to seven months. I am planning on the dependents rate going back to my claim eed, my family needs the little extra because of my unemployability status. Best to ya, cg

Hello mriguy,

just curious, recently awarded 40% sc. What is the process for receiving the extra payment for spouse/child? Sent in requested paperwork(spouses previous divorce decree and childs SSN). A few days ago, got a letter from VA stating that they are working on my claim for benefits...I thought they would get that paperwork from me, check it out and presto! I would start getting the extra...ok,ok, stop laughing! I know NOTHING is presto with VA. Does anyone know how long this generally takes? what VA has to do to decide all is in order? Will that be back paid to claim filing date as well?

Thanks to all,

Todd

Edited by cowgirl

Cowgirl,

Nice post. I was wondering if you received the backpay adjustment. Part of your post answered that question.

Have you heard from Jim Mac yet? Today was his BVA day.

Ron

• HadIt.com Elder

Havent heard from JimMac, hoping for best though, nice of you to keep track of my claims stuff cause I cant! Yes, I could use the backpay so much, with stopping all work its a dilema and tight quandry for my family, cg

Cowgirl,

Nice post. I was wondering if you received the backpay adjustment. Part of your post answered that question.

Have you heard from Jim Mac yet? Today was his BVA day.

Ron

Edited by cowgirl