VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay

Rate this question

danang_1969

Question

I understand that VA travel pay has increased to 28.5 cents per mile. A vet may go to the travel pay window at the VAMC and collect their travel pay after the visit occurs or the vet can call the eligibility office within 30 days after the visit has occurred; give your name, date of the visit, what facility you went to, and your last four and request a check be mailed to you; if no travel pay window exists at the satellite clinic you went or you failed to do it while you were there for any reason. How many vets can find this travel pay telephone number on www.va.gov? I can't. How many are aware of being eligible for this travel pay? Please anyone add any information about travel pay that I have missed or please correct in errors in my understanding. I believe many vets are missing this benefit from not being aware of these facts or not having the number of the office to call and request the check be sent to your home. I just discovered it not long ago; but all those visits that occurred over 30 days prior to finding out are not recoverable.

Danang_1969

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It depends on how far away you live from the VAMC/clinic as to how many visits within a one month period are required to get travel pay. I live about 30 miles from my VAMC, and I have to have appointments on four seperate days in a calendar month to be eligible for travel pay. This doesn't apply to C&P's. You always get travel pay for a C&P.

There still is a deductable ( Not sure how much it is it was $18.00 at the old rate) ,in my case I do not collect travel until I complete three visits within one month. But then it is more than twice as much as before

I live 65 (about) miles from My VAMC and rarely go more than once a month. All I know is that my T-pay for a regularly scheduled visit wen't from $9 to $24!

(Does disability % factor in?)

There are many unanswered questions concerning travel pay; it seems. This information should be provided on www.va.gov but it’s not. We know the pay is 28.5 cents per mile but need to know what numbers to call in requesting travel pay; when no travel window is provided at the VAMC; we need to know exactly who is eligible; for how much and what instances. In all things “we have not because we ask not” as the creator of the universe explains. I don’t believe that was the main topic HE was referring to; but it certainly applies the VA claims process as we all know. Many vets are 10 to 100% disabled; and the vets have not because they ask not. Many times the vet ask not; because they don’t know how to ask; and in some cases the vet is not able to ask in the manner that is required by the VA to receive. Someone who is really up on travel pay would really promote things on hadit.com for the vet; by posting all the information on travel pay the VA has failed to post. Maybe VA travel pay having it’s own special tab section here on hadit in the benefits process information section in redneck language.

Danang_1969

• HadIt.com Elder

Travel Pay is paid for treatment of a Service Connected injury and also for all Veterans who are 50% or more who live far enough away to collect it. The only way you can find out is to ask for it at the travel pay window after you go to an appointment.

A rough guess is if your round trip is over 60 miles you can get it. Or you make more than 3 visits a month. Or its a C&P or visit to treat a service connected injury.