VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay

Rate this question

danang_1969

Question

I understand that VA travel pay has increased to 28.5 cents per mile. A vet may go to the travel pay window at the VAMC and collect their travel pay after the visit occurs or the vet can call the eligibility office within 30 days after the visit has occurred; give your name, date of the visit, what facility you went to, and your last four and request a check be mailed to you; if no travel pay window exists at the satellite clinic you went or you failed to do it while you were there for any reason. How many vets can find this travel pay telephone number on www.va.gov? I can't. How many are aware of being eligible for this travel pay? Please anyone add any information about travel pay that I have missed or please correct in errors in my understanding. I believe many vets are missing this benefit from not being aware of these facts or not having the number of the office to call and request the check be sent to your home. I just discovered it not long ago; but all those visits that occurred over 30 days prior to finding out are not recoverable.

Danang_1969

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks guys. I live over a 100 miles from the main state facility. I live almost that far from the outpost facility; where I go most of the time. This outpost facility has no window and no business office but you have to call and request it. The drill has been to call the eligibility office at the main facility for travel pay after going to the outpost facility. Since I found that telephone number from another vet and have been able to get Thur to them and request it; I have drawn travel pay and I'm only 30% for all visits. Have I drawn it unjustly or is there a variation in states rules and offices? See what I'm saying.

Danang_1969

Edited by danang_1969

Danang you are eligible per the FAQ on the VA gov site:

Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;

Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;

Veterans receiving a VA pension;

Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;

Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;

Mileage reimbursement is made at the current rate of 11 cents per mile. Travel payment is subject to a deductible of $3. for each one-way trip. There is an $18. per month maximum deductible.

You are not subject to a deductible if you are traveling for a compensation or pension examination.

Looks like the VA hasn't plugged in the new rates yet.

stillhere

I inquired about travel pay (back pay) they said they will go back 2 years. Just wondered if there is a reg or if it is local decision. I am at 70% for past year 30 % for several before that.

at the VA where i go, Fargo, nd, they will only go back 30 days for travel pay, no exceptions, I even have asked the veteran advocate, and he says, yes, 30 days is the limit they go back, so if some VA go back 2 years, then very lucky.

The clinic that services myself has a travel pay form at the desk where I check in.

You have to ask for it.

sledge