VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Pay

Rate this question

danang_1969

Question

I understand that VA travel pay has increased to 28.5 cents per mile. A vet may go to the travel pay window at the VAMC and collect their travel pay after the visit occurs or the vet can call the eligibility office within 30 days after the visit has occurred; give your name, date of the visit, what facility you went to, and your last four and request a check be mailed to you; if no travel pay window exists at the satellite clinic you went or you failed to do it while you were there for any reason. How many vets can find this travel pay telephone number on www.va.gov? I can't. How many are aware of being eligible for this travel pay? Please anyone add any information about travel pay that I have missed or please correct in errors in my understanding. I believe many vets are missing this benefit from not being aware of these facts or not having the number of the office to call and request the check be sent to your home. I just discovered it not long ago; but all those visits that occurred over 30 days prior to finding out are not recoverable.

Danang_1969

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The form number is 3542. The current VA travel pay rate is 41.5 cents per mile. The first 3 trips, each month, have deductable of $6 per round trip and then the full amount is paid, for all other trips that month.

pr

Does anyone know the Form # to complete for travel pay????
Edited by Philip Rogers

I travel over 300 miles round trip for many doctor visits, the last time I went they paid me $123, the next time I went, last week, the travel pay window was closed, I was given a number to the financial office and I called the day after my appointment and the next day and the next day, then finally I spoke to someone and they are suppose to send me a form to sign and return, then they will send me a check.

I was there in June last year and was told that I did not qualify for travel pay because I was not 30% SC , later I found out I was eligible for travel pay because I was there for my SC condition. When I called them back, they said that was correct, but refused to pay me because it was more than 30 days ago, even tho it was their error.

The lady got a little upset, she told me that I should be going to the closest VAMC for my treatment and when I told her that it was the closest and it was over 300 miles round trip, she went uhhh ohhh.

Such is life, living in a small hamlet, 100 people, almost everyone talks to you like you live in a city. When I tell them the closest 4 way traffic light is about 20 miles away and the next one is about 40 miles away, many people go Wow, you live in the sticks. They may call it the sticks, but I call it paradise.

Edited by hurryupnwait

• HadIt.com Elder

Hurryupnwait - I'd apply for the mileage for the June date and if denied, run it thru the appeal process. If you state your case they may approve it. If you don't, they win and you lose, automatically. It's a no brainer!!! jmo

pr

VA Travel Reimbursement

Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;

Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;

Veterans receiving a VA pension;

Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;

Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;

2009 Mileage Rate Update: Mileage reimbursement has increased from 28 cents per mile to 41.5 cents. While increasing the payment, the current deductible amounts applied to certain mileage reimbursements will remain frozen at $7.77 for a one way trip, $15.54 for a round trip, and capped at a maximum of $46.62 per calendar month. On January 9, 2009, these deductibles will decrease to $3 for a one way trip, $6 for a round trip, with a maximum of $18 per calendar month. Deductibles can be waived if they cause a financial hardship to the veteran.

The deductibles are also waived for veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe this is the regulation that covers travel pay: 38 CFR 17.126

pr

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 17—MEDICAL

Payment and Reimbursement of the Expenses of Medical Services Not Previously Authorized

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 17.126 Timely filing.

Claims for payment or reimbursement of the expenses of medical care or services not previously authorized must be filed within the following time limits:

(a) A claim must be filed within 2 years after the date the care or services were rendered (and in the case of continuous care, payment will not be made for any part of the care rendered more than 2 years prior to filing claim), or

(:) In the case of case or services rendered prior to a VA adjudication allowing service-connection:

(1) The claim must be filed within 2 years of the date the veteran was notified by VA of the allowance of the award of service-connection.

(2) VA payment may be made for care related to the service-connected disability received only within a 2-year period prior to the date the veteran filed the original or reopened claim which resulted in the award of service-connection but never prior to the effective date of the award of service-connection within that 2-year period.

(3) VA payment will never be made for any care received beyond this 2-year period whether service connected or not.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 7304)

[33 FR 19012, Dec. 20, 1968, as amended at 39 FR 1844, Jan. 15, 1974; 45 FR 53807, Aug. 13, 1980; 51 FR 8673, Mar. 13, 1986. Redesignated at 61 FR 21966, May 13, 1996]

Browse Previous | Browse Next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For questions or comments regarding e-CFR editorial content, features, or design, email ecfr@nara.gov.

For questions concerning e-CFR programming and delivery issues, email webteam@gpo.gov.

Section 508 / Accessibility